• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violated First DUI Probation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Michelle21

What is the name of your state? IL

I received my first DUI in February and was put on probation. On September 10th I received another DUI which violates my probation. I never missed a probation appointment and I am caught up on my fine fees. I also have a steady job and a fourteen month old son. I really don't want to do longterm jail. I have never been in trouble for anything else in my whole life. What is the best thing I can do? :( Also what do you think they will do? I am not sure as to how the court system will handle my case. I am really scared.

BigMistakeFl

BigMistakeFl

I would be scared too, if I were you. But then again, I never went VOP after my first offense DUI. I found a way to free myself from the bottle and made a solemn vow never to drive after drinking ANYthing. I don't have legal advice for you, sorry. I can only tell you that I would seek counseling and do this waaaay before you are contacted by your probation officer or the court. Rehab would not be a bad idea, or at the very least, get your PO to set you up with their alcohol counseling. AA meetings would also be a great idea. If you make these serious efforts to stop drinking, there is a slight chance that it can help your case. But really, you must stop drinking and driving. In this case, I think you should find a way to stop drinking completely. It will only get worse.

DumbDrunk

I agree with Big Mistake. One DUI was enough for me, got me into AA, and my life has been much better ever since....even with the DUI on my record.

Get sober, use AA, rational recovery, whatever works for you. I have no idea if you're an alcoholic, but you're acting like one at the least.

Talk to an attorney and see what your present case looks like. Do not fail to appear, run, or ignore any summons or warrant. That just makes it much worse. Follow the best advice you can get, pay the price (whatever that may be) and move on.

I will tell you that IF you ARE an alcoholic, these charges are the least of your concerns if you keep drinking.

craigblitz

Well you do need to be beat down with you should not have done that. But look at the minimums for second offesne DUI's. Not to scare you but since they were so close in time I am not sure the court is going to be very forgiving. Get a lawyer and follow the advice given. Be proactive, go to meetings, get help and show the court that you are trying to take responsibility.

Good luck

mike2002

You should plan on jail time, how long I don't know. But my g/f served 30 days in jail in Virginia for a 2nd DUI and that was after her probation was over. Don't know what Illinois is like but I hear probation violations are treated extra harsh. It's a pretty miserable experience so read up on it. She went straight to jail from court. Expect to be in handcuffs at the end of your court hearing and be prepared for all sorts of not fun things in jail, best not to be overly modest or embarass easily.

I posted my g/f's experience here:
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=229705.

Hopefully yours won't be too bad.

Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">