• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of court order

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

whiggs

I live in the state of Georgia. I am currently under court order not to directly or indirectly contact the company Github. Easy enough I figured. I am an automation engineer for a living and write code as a result. Recently, I uploaded several scripts I had written to gitlab which use the Github api which I had written prior to this court court order. Also, in the readme for this particular repo, I decried the things that Github had done to me that have resulted in my current predicament to those who would see the repo. The prosecutor in this case is now trying to claim that this was a violation of court order to have no communication with the company, which I strongly refute. The way the prosecutor is wording it, the fact that I uploaded scripts which use Github's api is a form a communication and the decrying of Github's behavior is also a violation. The first reason is stupid if they knew what they were talking about, and the second essentially means that I can't even leave a bad review or bbb complaint without violating the order, which I also believe is bull crap. I wanted to see any of you think that this would be a violation of the court order.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I live in the state of Georgia. I am currently under court order not to directly or indirectly contact the company Github. Easy enough I figured. I am an automation engineer for a living and write code as a result. Recently, I uploaded several scripts I had written to gitlab which use the Github api which I had written prior to this court court order. Also, in the readme for this particular repo, I decried the things that Github had done to me that have resulted in my current predicament to those who would see the repo. The prosecutor in this case is now trying to claim that this was a violation of court order to have no communication with the company, which I strongly refute. The way the prosecutor is wording it, the fact that I uploaded scripts which use Github's api is a form a communication and the decrying of Github's behavior is also a violation. The first reason is stupid if they knew what they were talking about, and the second essentially means that I can't even leave a bad review or bbb complaint without violating the order, which I also believe is bull crap. I wanted to see any of you think that this would be a violation of the court order.
Sounds like one to me - you need an attorney.

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It doesn't matter what anyone here thinks. It only matters what the court of record thinks. You need an attorney.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
My legal advice to @whiggs is: Grow up and obey the court order. Seriously.
I am currently under court order not to directly or indirectly contact the company G*****.
"Indirectly" covers a lot.

An intelligent person who wants to stay out of trouble would conclude that while the court order is in effect, they should bend over backwards to not even give off a hint of flouting it.

You have not.

Since you are capable of writing code that works, you must be able to understand sentential logic. Therefore, by extension, you should have the ability to understand legal logic.

I can only conclude that your behavior is intentionally self-destructive.

Please get professional help. In addition to retaining a lawyer, you need a psychiatric assessment (and likely treatment).

Please remember that the violation of a court order is also seen as contempt of court; meaning you have just flipped the finger at the judge who issued the order.

Mass_Shyster

Is this a criminal case? (you mentioned a prosecutor, a term generally referring to a District Attorney of Solicitor General). If so, why is the order in place? If it's a condition of bail, you are risking incarceration for failing to abide by that order.

quincy

With what were you originally charged that led to the no-contact order? Harassment? Terroristic threats?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">