• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violation of misdemeanor probation/DUI

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

wogserv

Colorado
I was on probation in CO. for a DUI. I left on family business and violated in the process. Is it possible to have the case transferred to CT. without having to go back to CO. and turn myself in on the bench warrant that has been issued for the probation violation. I realize that if I go back to CO. they will put me back on probation after the minimum 2-3 week county jail time that is attached to the violation. I can, at said time have my probation transferred to CT. However, I was trying to get this done without having to go back to CO. :D

Just Blue

Colorado
I was on probation in CO. for a DUI. I left on family business and violated in the process. Is it possible to have the case transferred to CT. without having to go back to CO. and turn myself in on the bench warrant that has been issued for the probation violation. I realize that if I go back to CO. they will put me back on probation after the minimum 2-3 week county jail time that is attached to the violation. I can, at said time have my probation transferred to CT. However, I was trying to get this done without having to go back to CO. :D
You should ask your attorney.

FlyingRon

You should ask your attorney.
If you had applied to have your probation transferred while you were in good standing rather than absconding, it would be routine.
As BM points out, you need an attorney but you should expect to have to go back to Colorado.

Just Blue

If you had applied to have your probation transferred while you were in good standing rather than absconding, it would be routine.
As Blue points out, you need an attorney but you should expect to have to go back to Colorado.
Fixed that for ya!! :)

HighwayMan

Super Secret Senior Member
It's only a matter of time before you get caught in CT and locked up on the warrant. You could end up spending a long weekend in jail until the arresting agency contacts the originating agency to determine what they will do with you.

Being detained can happen repeatedly until the warrant is vacated.

wogserv

It's only a matter of time before you get caught in CT and locked up on the warrant. You could end up spending a long weekend in jail until the arresting agency contacts the originating agency to determine what they will do with you.

Being detained can happen repeatedly until the warrant is vacated.
CT doesn't care. It's a misdemeanor bench warrant. They aren't /will not arrest anyone from another state that has a misdemeanor bench warrant. It's not worth their time/paperwork. Keyword, misdemeanor. The bottom line is CO. is not coming to CT for extradition on a misdemeanor. There isn't any money involved. It will cost them, not me. It's not worth the time and effort on behalf of either state.

FlyingRon

Yeah, many people thought as you did and still ended up cooling their heels in jail because some cop decided to call up the distant state to find out if someone wanted to go on a road trip to come get you. Will they actively hunt you down, possibly not. If you get arrested or otherwise stopped and they notice you have a warrant, you quite possibly can be detained.

Hopefully, you're not compounding your criminal deeds by driving while revoked. They won't even need to extradite you on that one.

HighwayMan

You will probably not be extradited but you certainly will be detained - whether it's for a few minutes, hours, or days.

HighwayMan

It's not worth their time/paperwork.
Really, what paperwork?

If an police officer is being paid, especially overtime, he won't hesitate to detain you and watch you sit in a cell.

A warrant is an ORDER from a court that a police officer cannot just ignore. You will be detained until it's determined what the originating agency wants to do.

Sometimes they will just send a hold request through NCIC and have you sit in jail for a few days, even if they know they won't come and get you. I've seen it happen.

Ladyback1

CT doesn't care. It's a misdemeanor bench warrant. They aren't /will not arrest anyone from another state that has a misdemeanor bench warrant. It's not worth their time/paperwork. Keyword, misdemeanor. The bottom line is CO. is not coming to CT for extradition on a misdemeanor. There isn't any money involved. It will cost them, not me. It's not worth the time and effort on behalf of either state.
No, most likely CO will not extradite you.

HOWEVER--if you are stopped for a traffic stop or have some sort of contact with local law enforcement, Law enforcement will run your name through NCIC; IF Colorado entered the warrant into the NCIC database, the warrant will show and the officer will most likely arrest you. Then either the officer or a dispatcher will attempt to contact the issuing agency to determine if there is a potential for extradition. Getting a response, can take anywhere from a few minutes to a couple of days. And you will be detained until local law enforcement has confirmation of no extradition. PLUS--if at any time you have to undergo a criminal background check (ex-new job, CCWP, or security clearance) that warrant WILL show up, and can adversely effect you.

Good Luck

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">