• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

VIOLENT BROTHER

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

ELF44697780

MY BROTHER THREATENS TO BEAT OUR DAD UP. MY DAD'S GIRLFRIEND IS IN THE HOSPITAL, DYING OF PANCREATIC CANCER. MY BROTHER SAYS IF MY DAD GOES TO THE HOSPITAL OR CALLS THERE HE WILL BEAT MY DAD UP. HE HAS BEAT HIM UP BEFORE. MY DAD'S GIRLFRIEND IS ALSO MY BROTHER'S MOTHER-IN-LAW. DAD & HIS GIRLFRIEND SHARE A HOME. NOW THE DOCTORS SAY SHE WILL NOT BE RETURNING HOME. HER BELONGINGS ARE STILL IN THE PLACE. HER DAUGHTER(MY BROTHER'S WIFE) ENTERED THE PLACE MONDAY(WITH HER MOTHER'S KEY) AND TOOK SOME THINGS. IS THIS LEGAL? WHAT CAN MY DAD DO TO PROTECT HIMSELF FROM MY BROTHER? WE LIVE IN OHIO.

L

LadyFable

It appears there are several issues here. Crimal (tresspassin and threats being made) and soon to be inheritance issue. Is your father and his girlfriend both on the lease for the home in which they share? Do either of them own the residence or do they rent it? If they rent the residence and they are both on the lease, it would be a criminal issue (in my humble opinion.) I would suggest to him to change the locks on the house and contact the police to inquire about tresspassing laws in your state. Also, if your father truly fears for his life, he could file a restraining order against his son. Considering all the facts are not known as to why the son has such a problem with his father, there might be more to this than what we see here.... I wish you much luck.

Additionally, you didnt indicate how long your father has been with his girlfriend. If they are not legally married, and she has living children, he may not have any rights to any of her possessions. I would assume you could contact a lawyer that deals with estate law and see what they say.
I am not a lawyer nor do I proclaim to be. What I post here is not advice but merely my opinion. Nothing more. nothing less.

[This message has been edited by LadyFable (edited October 12, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">