• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Violent Crime Victim - Stabbed at sports bar playing pool

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Jcg9588

So, this happened in new hampshire, and I'm just wondering about the whole profess, We just got to the point where I read my impact statement, and I am waiting to hear back about the restitution. He was sentenced to jail, and a lot of prision time over his head. Serves him, my questions, are 1 coukd you maybe just outline the whole profess and tell me abkht what to expcect and like how quickly we cwan take rhem to court, as he was already found guilty
and I am acquiring the discovert tomorrow. This is the important part, the 100% real story that happened I will tell you, as wqell as all the wiesses, Apparently he had beben there most the night, but around 1 1130 he srtarted aprproaching people and going around harassing oeopoke., (the defendant, [name removed]:?) now by aszking around, and comfirimbed by police, he was under investigation for firing a gung IN THE SAME BAR last year, and has been kicked out on numerous occasions for fighting and such. So he goes up tto two guys, and grabs one by the balls, and puts a knife to the others throat. Right here there should be boncers, there are over 12 21-31 yo people getting XXXX and playing pool, so anyway, i didnt even see this encounterm but 15-20 mins later after he orders abnotgher beeer i think, he comes yup to me and my friends... gerts real bad, i step y[p, he como,es at me,, i beat the XXXX out of him.. hes oncqmera coming at me,,,,and i guess when i thew him down he pulled me down too and stabbed me 3 times in the back, twice, hitting my ribs, and once goingninbetween puncturing my lung, I 2was taken tothe eR then heli evacced to the Boston. Seems cut and dry to me but nmothing ever is. So im just wonderinf what i got going on here, what i should belookoing oiut for, what i can do, abd just what you think oeverall maybe soe support im bnot doing well honestly...

quincy

So, this happened in new hampshire, and I'm just wondering about the whole profess, We just got to the point where I read my impact statement, and I am waiting to hear back about the restitution. He was sentenced to jail, and a lot of prision time over his head. Serves him, my questions, are 1 coukd you maybe just outline the whole profess and tell me abkht what to expcect and like how quickly we cwan take rhem to court, as he was already found guilty
and I am acquiring the discovert tomorrow. This is the important part, the 100% real story that happened I will tell you, as wqell as all the wiesses, Apparently he had beben there most the night, but around 1 1130 he srtarted aprproaching people and going around harassing oeopoke., (the defendant, [name removed]?) now by aszking around, and comfirimbed by police, he was under investigation for firing a gung IN THE SAME BAR last year, and has been kicked out on numerous occasions for fighting and such. So he goes up tto two guys, and grabs one by the balls, and puts a knife to the others throat. Right here there should be boncers, there are over 12 21-31 yo people getting [edit] and playing pool, so anyway, i didnt even see this encounterm but 15-20 mins later after he orders abnotgher beeer i think, he comes yup to me and my friends... gerts real bad, i step y[p, he como,es at me,, i beat the [edit] out of him.. hes oncqmera coming at me,,,,and i guess when i thew him down he pulled me down too and stabbed me 3 times in the back, twice, hitting my ribs, and once goingninbetween puncturing my lung, I 2was taken tothe eR then heli evacced to the Boston. Seems cut and dry to me but nmothing ever is. So im just wonderinf what i got going on here, what i should belookoing oiut for, what i can do, abd just what you think oeverall maybe soe support im bnot doing well honestly...
Your post was reported to have the real name removed and the language cleaned up.

If the fellow has already been convicted and sentenced and restitution ordered, you do not have to sue to recover damages.

But if you are looking for an additional amount of money or a judgment which will allow you to attach your attacker's assets, your civil action proceeds as does any civil action.

If you are unsure of the Rules of Procedure, you would be smart to have an attorney in your area assist you with your suit.

I hope the recovery from your injuries is swift and complete. Good luck.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
I would also add: given the grammar used in your initial post, please have a lawyer help you with this.

By the way, the word is "process" not "profess". For the same reason that you may have a food processor in your kitchen, but it is highly unlikely you would have a food professor in your kitchen, unless you own some sort of culinary school, and the food professor is teaching a class there.

quincy

I would also add: given the grammar used in your initial post, please have a lawyer help you with this.

By the way, the word is "process" not "profess". For the same reason that you may have a food processor in your kitchen, but it is highly unlikely you would have a food professor in your kitchen, unless you own some sort of culinary school, and the food professor is teaching a class there.
Typing skills seem to be lacking a bit. :)

Here is a link to a (2013) Primer on New Hampshire's Rules of Civil Procedure:
https://www.courts.state.nh.us/superior/civilrulespp/PRIMER-on-Civil-Rules.pdf

adjusterjack

Have mercy on the OP. I'm guessing that he typed all that on his phone. My phone does stuff like that. It's the phone's fault. :p

quincy

Have mercy on the OP. I'm guessing that he typed all that on his phone. My phone does stuff like that. It's the phone's fault. :p
The "s" that is supposed to be an "a" and the "i" that is supposed to be an "o" ... over half my edits are to correct fat-finger errors.

Jcg9588

Lmao, I'm sorry guys, I didnt know the rules about certain things, and the fact it's public information and such also letting people know what the case was would be helpful but i can see why it's not appropriate. anyway, I was really stressed out last night and up way too late writing this post so I apologize for the sloppiness (yes on my phone, haha since I've started a new medication for my adhd, it works great but I get going a little to fast sometimes, and rely on autocorrect to fix it.) I have a good friend of mine, actually used to be my uncle but him and my aunt got divorced, he's a personal injury lawyer looking into it. I just wanted to talk to some other people who have some ideas about it, and have maybe been through it before. I'm a 30 year old man 6'2, good shape, healthy good lookin guy, but man this really messes me up, I haven't had a single beer out at a bar since, haven't even set foot in a bar since. I live across the street from the place and I can't even walk past it on the same side of the road, it's just caused a lot of emotional trama, a mild case of PTSD now become extremely severe. Among the many other physical, mental, emotional, and financial hard times it's caused me. I hate the thought of suing someone and making them repay you, and this and that, but the establishment has insurance that will handle it, no innocent food industry owner is going to be hurt by it, and getting drunk and getting into a bar fight and goimg home with your buddys is an age old thing, all good misdirected man-anger coming out in a somewhat questionable manner. Nobodys ever the worse for it, and everyones laughing about it the next day. It's happened to a lot of people before and will continue to, but to be a person who would get extremely intoxicated, carry a knife, threaten people with it and brandish it all night long, then start a fight with someone, lose said fight, and stab, and give a nearly life threatening injury. Well now I see why it is proper to have these systems to hold people accountable. Like what if it continues and he hadn't been held accountable? Don;t want someone gettting even more hurt than I was...

Jcg9588

Ha Ha funny guy :) yeah the C and F are very close lol, and I was never good at proofreading, i.e i didn't do it ;)

quincy

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
It is possible to sue the New Hampshire bar over the injuries suffered in the bar fight.

Here is a link to the law:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/LII/507-F/507-F-mrg.htm
If the bar recklessly served alcohol to an intoxicated patron, and serving alcohol to the intoxicated patron was the proximate cause of an injury, the bar can be held liable.
This, however, would not be handled in the restitution phase of the criminal case.

He might qualify for some help under the New Hampshire Victim's Compensation Program.

I would think that it would be very important to have documentation of out of pocket expenses above $100 for:
  • medical care,
  • lost wages,
  • counselling.

Him saying he has PTSD is not enough - fine for a victim impact statement, but not for restitution. Showing that he has a diagnosis of PTSD and being treated for it by a qualified professional would. Mental health counselling restitution is capped at $3,000.

quincy

Right. It would be for any civil action he is contemplating against the bar. There needs to be evidence to support any claim of damages.

Shadowbunny

Queen of the Not-Rights
It is possible to sue the New Hampshire bar over the injuries suffered in the bar fight.

Here is a link to the law:
http://www.gencourt.state.nh.us/rsa/html/LII/507-F/507-F-mrg.htm
If the bar recklessly served alcohol to an intoxicated patron, and serving alcohol to the intoxicated patron was the proximate cause of an injury, the bar can be held liable.
My confusion was that in the first post he talks about restitution, in the post I quoted from he talks about the bar's insurance. From my understanding those would be two totally different things.

quincy

My confusion was that in the first post he talks about restitution, in the post I quoted from he talks about the bar's insurance. From my understanding those would be two totally different things.
My understanding is that there has already been a criminal case and the attacker was convicted, sentenced and restitution was ordered.

Now Jcg9588 wants to sue. I am a bit confused about who exactly he wants to sue - attacker or bar - but he potentially could sue either or both.

It appears a claim has already been filed with the bar's insurance company, though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">