• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Virginia resident ticketed in WV

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
Out of state speeding ticket

What is the name of your state? Virginia
I was ticketed in: West Virginia

I got a ticket in West Virginia, but I am a resident of Virginia. Is it worth it for me to fight this in court? Is there any way I could plead not guilty and get away with it, or is "guilty with explanation" the best bet, and hope that I get my 16 over the speed limit (41 in a 25) charge reduced, or deferred?

I've never had a ticket before, and yeah, I'd like to keep it that way. I know state DMVs share information, but would WV share such trivial matters with VA? I'm primarily concerned with what this will do to my insurance.

Would an argument that I was easing my way into a 25 mph zone going to work? Because that's what I was doing--I think it's unreasonable for me to slow from a 45 zone to 25 in such a short frame of time. Would such an argument hurt or help?

Thanks for any suggestions or tips, I am really worried since again, this is the first time I've ever had to deal with the law.
Last edited:


Typically, if you're caught speeding you might as well face the consequences. If you play, you pay. Be an adult and face the consequences. There is never a good reason to speed unless something's on fire anyway.


Junior Member
Fight it

It depends on what you said to the officer when he pulled you over, if you mention anything that would incriminate yourself and the officer wrote it down you will loose your case, however you have the right to request from the district where you were pulled over to ask for the police officer who pulled you over his notes he took when he pulled you over, also any device information such as the print out of when he clocked you, also he has to prove which lanes you were in while speeding this is a big thing in speed cases,when he start to clock you and when he stoped, and the defects of that device and instructions on it, this is all call request of "discovery" you should request in writing atleast 2 weeks prior to your court hearing, if denied by the department then ask for proof of denial which is normally a cetified letter, take that to court and the judge will dismiss your case, lack of the offcer supporting information pertaining to your case. That is your right you have under a moving violation.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential