• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

visa decision help...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

82paladin

What is the name of your state?What is the name of your state? New Jersey

Here is my situation, thanks for any suggestions...

I am citizen of Slovak Republic, currently in New Jersey, on program called Work and Travel sponsored by official, government recognized, non-profit organisation. My visas are J-1, valid until 11/30.

I would like to stay here in New Jersey, for longer, not just for 5 months (as commited on my DS2019) work and live here.

this way I would like to ask you for my options, what are the ways I have to stay here legally. Since I really dont want to stay illegally.

What I know is:

1.H1B

I know that limit for this type of visas is already filled. Nex possible date to apply for H1B is april 2006 or so, with first possible employment date october 2006.

(a) I know there are some exemptions from this quota. Like universities or non-profit organisations. I would like to ask somebody to post me full listings of those exemptions, so I can know where to try to get job.

(b) Does anyone have any experience with J-1 changing status to H1B? If companies like it or not... Is it prerry common? Or rather rare? I do have University masters degree.

(c) Is my education insufficent for such type of visas? Or are there any other qualifications commonly used by companies that may rule me out?

(d) If I send my filled application for year 2006 sometimes this year, can I stay legally here in US after my J-1 exp. date, waiting for my application result?

2.J-1

(a) I have heard that there is "90 days rule" for reapplying for another J-1 visas, after returned to home country. Is it true? Is there any way to deal with it without waiting 3 months at home? Do you have any tips here?

(b) I would like to get J-1 visas as internship applicant(intern), in company I work for now. Do you have any experience with Work and Travel guys(J-1, 5mnths) returning to the US as interns(1 yr.)?

(c) Does anyone know any other types of J-1 visas, I might apply for?

3.F-1

(a) I am also thinking about getting to school college or rather university, I know that this type of visas allows me to work only 20/hrs per week. Is that right? Or are there any other types of F1? is it only on-campus work? Or can I work off-campus?

(b) Does anyone know if 20hrs/week is strictly enforced in reality? What if I work 25 or some weeks 30 hrs?

(c) Is there any longer period necessary to switch J-1 to F-1? (something like 90 day rule). Can I process my F-1 application right now? So my visas validity periods may cover?

(d) If I send my F-1 application and meanwhile my J-1 expire, can I stay here legally or do I have to go back and wait for results at home?

4. Of course there is another way - marry an US citizen. i dont want to do that for visas.

OK, I think that is it. Lots of questions :) I hope someone could help me at least with some of them. Thanks again :)

Robert

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">