• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitation, Coronavirus

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

BuyLowSellHigh

Please ignore the volunteers who choose to have moral or ethical issues with other's behaviors. That's not relevant to your legal options.

If mother is violating the law then contact the appropriate law enforcement agencies to report her. If you feel the kids welfare is in danger then contact an attorney to discuss an emergency protection order.

LdiJ

Not really and that’s for a practical reason. The courts are mostly closed and getting a hearing before the crisis is over is not very likely.

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
Thanks for all the replies.

One extra note, the reason I have agreed to our current custody is because I live too far away from their school right now to take them during the week. Their schools are closed and I have no issue having them full time. The mother would not agree to that.

Another note, in order to get full decision making rights, the mothers case was because I claim she was abusive, there is no way I can make rational decisions with the mother. Now the mother is very hostile and uses foul language etc during our interactions. I think she is trying to provoke a conflict so she can reaffirm that case. I of course have my own feelings about how gross this is but that's irrelevant just FYI if that makes any difference here.

I know children are at much lower risk than the elderly, I have seen a couple of deaths reported but it's hard to find much info. Maybe because hospitals can't release minors info? I saw a case from LA county where they just reported "Someone under the age of 18" died, and I saw a case today I think from Detroit where a 5 year old died.

I have a friend who is a nurse and she is telling me she has had multiple pediatric patients hospitalized with Covid-19, though none of them have died. I hope none of them do.

I have made the decision to not expose the kids to any people I don't have too. The mother is only tenuously doing so "for now".

Does any of that info change anything? Thanks again.
I strongly suggest that you seek, as part of your parenting plan, that you and Mom confine your interchanges to a medium that keeps records of these interactions in a court admissible way. What method you chose should be based on what the local courts prefer. Expect Mom to balk - first at the idea of being dictated to, then at complying. Just do it, and then comply.

P.S. @BuyLowSellHigh As an aside, no one knows what the long term effects of Covid-19 are. 39% pneumonia and "abnormal chest imaging" sounds ominous. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/pediatric-hcp.html

Last edited:

LdiJ

Please ignore the volunteers who choose to have moral or ethical issues with other's behaviors. That's not relevant to your legal options.

If mother is violating the law then contact the appropriate law enforcement agencies to report her. If you feel the kids welfare is in danger then contact an attorney to discuss an emergency protection order.
The police are not going to get involved and this is unlikely to be treated as an emergency situation.

quincy

Moral and ethical issues are often intertwined with legal issues. It can be a mistake to ignore them as they are often what drive legal actions.

TheGeekess

Keeper of the Kraken
And who would that be? There is no 'law enforcement agencies' that enforce court orders, except the court itself. Thanks for playing. :unsure:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
I see a few issues. It doesn't seem as though you have any court orders at this point (or did the court issue temporary custody orders?). That is both good and bad. *Technically*, without a court order, you *could*, in theory, pick the kids up and then keep them. That may, or may not, be an issue down the line. If Mom chooses to retaliate in kind, your kids are like ping-pong balls. Which is never good.

You didn't mention how old the kids are, but I get the sense they are younger. If the only "proof" you have of Mom's transgressions are one child's word, that may not get you far. For one, depending on age, children's sense of time can be wonky (for lack of a better word). Also, courts really dislike putting kids in the middle, especially when it comes to "tattling" on a parent. Additionally, courts are loathe to control how either parent spends their parenting time. They will instill some boundaries (i.e. out of state/country travel requiring some type of notice/sharing of information, relocation, and so on) but as long as the kids are adequately sheltered, fed, clothed? They tend to err on the side of assuming a parent puts their child(ren)'s welfare as a priority.

Additionally, this whole C-19 thing is relatively uncharted territory on all fronts, including co-parenting. The court is unlikely to see "Mom's b/f is coming to dinner, according to kid, so the kids might be exposed" as an emergent situation, unlike "Mom's b/f is a convicted pedophile, he's coming over and babysitting the kids - who are the ages/genders of those he offended against - and I have admissible evidence of it all."

Honestly, all you can really do is make a decision that you are comfortable with - both for yourself, the kids, and your Mom. Maybe Mom would be amenable to regular Facetime sessions? Or would you be able to spend your parenting time more local to the ex (perhaps at a hotel - I haven't looked at CO's stay-at-home/essential business orders... camping?) - to lessen your Mom's exposure? What about going to Mom's area on each of your w/e days (when the weather's nice) and spending the days at a park? You can run around, go biking, have a picnic.... Just trying to think of some options.

On a slightly different note... This would be a good time to start bringing a longer-term plan vis-a-vis your living arrangements into play. If you have any hopes of a larger share of parenting time, you need to be in the same community. It is much more difficult to change orders than have them from the get-go. Courts want to see "I now have a home at 123 XYZ Rd, which is x.z miles from hum-a-nuh-hum-a-nuh ES/MS/HS that the children attend" not "yeah, I plan to move into the school district sometime in the next 3/6/12 months." It also makes it easier for the court to put specific relocation orders into play - the kids remain residing within hum-a-nuh-hum-a-nuh SD, absent mutual agreement/court order. Honestly - if you're not living in the SD now? There is little reason for the court to restrict Mom moving w/the kids. This is a serious discussion you should have with your lawyer. I'm also going to PM you a link to a father's support board. They have had similar discussions re C-19, parenting time, etc. They are great at helping other Dads formulate strategies, etc.

p.s. Also ditto the suggestion of a communication platform (was it clever red?) - lots of courts use Our Family Wizard. But there are others. Yes, there is a fee involved. But it keeps things more civil and the court can access the communications if needed.

BuyLowSellHigh

I strongly suggest that you seek, as part of your parenting plan, that you and Mom confine your interchanges to a medium that keeps records of these interactions in a court admissible way. What method you chose should be based on what the local courts prefer. Expect Mom to balk - first at the idea of being dictated to, then at complying. Just do it, and then comply.

P.S. @BuyLowSellHigh As an aside, no one knows what the long term effects of Covid-19 are. 39% pneumonia and "abnormal chest imaging" sounds ominous. https://www.cdc.gov/coronavirus/2019-ncov/hcp/pediatric-hcp.html
"No one knows" is not a strong legal argument.

BuyLowSellHigh

Everything in life involves risk. I think you demonstrated the severity of the risk that there are a handful of deaths in the United States.

quincy

Agreed. But you can't reasonably judge someone's behavior by limited comments made by their ex.
More needs to be considered. Correct.

There is enough already known about Covid-19 to know that any exposure to the virus can be deadly and that age alone is not the sole predictor of outcome.

Last edited:

Just Blue

Everything in life involves risk. I think you demonstrated the severity of the risk that there are a handful of deaths in the United States.
There are well over 45K deaths (doubled in the last week) from C-19....and over 827k cases. I would hardly call that a "handful".

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">