• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

visitation in NY

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

twojules

What is the name of your state? NY
Quick ? I have sole custody of my son (13yrs old) my sons father has summer visitation with him for a week this summer. My ? is Does my sons father have to tell me if he takes him out of the state? (not addressed in visitation order) also does he need to provide phone access while son is with him? Meaning if I call home # to talk to son (not everyday) but doesnt he need to provide a way in case of 911 I need to be able to leave him a message for son? Right now he has NO cell phone and has no way to leave a message on home phone. Also, dont know his work # and he may not even be working while he has son for the week.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
If your order doesn't require it, then he's not required to inform you if he takes the child on a trip (out of state or not), nor is he required to provide an answering machine for you to leave messages. Lots of people don't have them, or cell phones.

nextwife

Unless there is a specific restriction in the order, the NCP is free to travel with his child during HIS visitation time as long as he does not leave the US.

My sister's SO recently attended an important family event here, and brought his son with him so he could experience the event and start meeting family members. And his son lives on the opposite coast from him, and the event was here in the Midwest. So son was out of state the entire time of visitation, and often is. He did call his mom from the cel phone, and she was given our address here, but was not required to do so.

Last edited:

moburkes

What reason would you need to contact your son for an emergency? You said that he's 13. If YOU have an emergency, your son can't help you. If HE has an emergency, then you can't help him, BUT father will be able to contact you to let you know about it.

nextwife

Hon, cel phones didn't exist when I was a kid. And we all survived NOT being able to instantly call someone!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">