• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

visitation jurisdiction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

L

lisabydefault

What is the name of your state? Georgia.

The visitation court order was in South Carolina. I have lived in Georgia for 4 years since this was first issued. Is there a way to change the jurisdiction to my current state?

L

lisabydefault

I am the custodial parent. The reason for this request is complicated. My divorce was 4 years ago and we all lived in SC. Shortly after, I received a job offer that I could not refuse in GA. I moved and remarried. There is now a 6 hour drive between locations. I still maintained the original agreed upon visitation arrangement. I received my divorce on the grounds of physical cruelty and had several hospital records to substantiate it. The court with jurisdiction is a small town system. They did not require my ex to take the same counseling classes as everyone else did by law including me. Shortly after moving, my son returned home with contusions to his head and hip from his father. The doctors reported me for this abuse. GA's family services did a report and cleared me of any and all wrong doings. They concluded it was the father and turned it over to the SC family services who in turn said GA had no right to investigate and closed the case without further action. I was told by GA that I would be held for child endangerment if the children returned and by SC that I would be held in contempt if they did not. I chose to be held in contempt. The SC judge immediately started visitation and placed everyone in counseling. It took 3 years to get this case to come to a close and have a new visitation arrangement made. My kids are now 15 and 14. They visit one weekend a month, most holidays and 5 weeks in the summer. My ex now wants more visitation and threatened to go to court again. My children will never have a voice in the small county SC court system. In GA, they can speak.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">