• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

visitation rights

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



my 7 year old daughter and i live in tennessee and my ex-wife lives in florida. when my ex and i divorced, the child was living in trinidad with my parents so there were no child custody papers made. my daughter has been living with me for the past year and now my ex would like to have visitation of her for a week in the summer. my ex has admitted that she might not want to send my daughter back. i understand by law, that i have custody and if the mother wants custody she will have to come to the state the child resides in? do i need to have some sort of custody papers drawn up so i know the child will be returning to tennessee?


Senior Member
if custody of the child has never been determined - both parents have equal rights to the child.

it would be in your best interest to file papers to establish a form of custody and visitation schedule. you can do that through an attorney, or you can file the papers yourself. if you are unsure of the paperwork, you can try a paralegal service - if there is one in your area - seach the web. they will prepare all the papers, you take them to court, pay the filing fee and you can explain your case to the judge. it is alot cheaper than an attorney.

but if you think that the ex will fight and it could get complicated then you really should seek the legal services of an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential