• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.


Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state?
afraid of losing son. Single mother, low income. pregnant last year of high school, got diploma. child now 2 years old. father fled during pregnancy. now wants to see son, which we have been doing, but now taking to court. has parents pushing him. has threatened to take away child. name not on birth certificate, son does not have his name. scared - have seen the system work for those who have money, not those who love the child. what do i do, where do i go:confused:


Senior Member
Call legal aid, if you are that low income or ask the judge for a court appointed attorney. Either way however, be prepared to do research, research, research to help your case. If all he wants right now is visitation, he will probably get it. He is the father and in VA that means he has the same rights to the child as you do unless he is determined by the judge to be unfit. You can ask for visitation be phased in slowly, considering the age of the child and the fact that the father failed to show interest for the first two years of his/her life. If you don't have a support order, now is the time to request one. Standard visitation in VA is one evening a week, every other weekend and 2 weeks in the summer.

At the very least, do seek out a qualified family attorney in your area for a free or low cost consult. He/she can probably give a better idea of how the judge in your case MIGHT rule.

Good Luck!


Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential