• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

caringmom

What is the name of your state? Ca

I had visitation with my 2 sons this weekend. I took them to the state fair & my visitation schedule is for Dad to pick them up at 7pm. I had my 11yr old call his Dad and tell him we would be late since we were going to the fair. We were having so much fun and lost track of time (also didn't have a watch) and I ended up dropping them off at their Dad's house 2 hours late. Their Dad wasn't home, but his wife was. She was very upset because SHE not DAD had to wait been waiting for the kids since 7pm. She started yelling at me and didn't give me a chance to apologize. Her last comment was that their lawyer would take care of me. How can this affect my visitation? This was a one-time thing. Should I get a lawyer?

Ambr

Alot of things can be said in the heat of the moment. Apparently their father wasn't to worried about it or he would have been there waiting on the children.

If this was a one time event, I wouldn't think that a judge would not look to hard on it. You did have the child call to let them know that you were running late. You tried to apologize for the inconvenience.

I wouldn't run out and hire a lawyer just yet. Unless they have a lawyer that will just take their money and file anything - I would hope that their lawyer would let them know that being a few hours late is not a major deal.

On top of that - she can't file anything - they are not her kids.

L

lcollins

First off, stepmom can't do a darn thing, it's up to your ex. Second, if this was a first occurence and your ex was apparently unconcerned, or not aware of how late you were, I don't think you have anything to worry about. One instance being late shouldn't be that big a deal. You also called and told them you would be late, you were just later than you planned. The best thing for your ex to do, is just keep a record of it, and wait. I can't see them filing contempt charges for you on one occurence of you being late.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">