• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

The name of my state is Kentucky.

I am trying to be decent with the father of my child. We have joint custody but his job schedule is impossible to work with.
His schedule changes every week and alternates every day of every other week. It is never the same!!!
When he does pick her up, It is not until 5:30-6:00 pm. I have a NORMAL 7-4 job and I am in school at the same time.
He is telling me the court will not enforce anything to be set and I will lose out on child support.
Do you think it would be pointless to try? This stuff is driving me crazy

*ALSO*
He also agreed in mediation and had it signed by a judge to put my name on our car title and did not do that. Can that still be enforced?

Last edited:

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
How old is the child? What time does she get to/picked up from school/daycare? How far does he travel for work? How far from you does he live?

p.s. I've never worked a 7-4 job. 8-5 or 9-5 is more normal.

The child is 22 months. He is only abut 30 mins from his work and him and I only live 5 mins away from one another.
It is not the 5:30-6 pick up that is the main issue, it is that he NEVER keeps her a full day.
I NEVER have time to do my homework. He can not keep her any weekend days at all. I do not see how that is fair to me

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
How old is the child? What time does she get to/picked up from school/daycare? How far does he travel for work? How far from you does he live?

p.s. I've never worked a 7-4 job. 8-5 or 9-5 is more normal.
My job is 7-3:30 (I'm here at 6, but the folks in back start at 7)

Zigner

The child is 22 months. He is only abut 30 mins from his work and him and I only live 5 mins away from one another.
It is not the 5:30-6 pick up that is the main issue, it is that he NEVER keeps her a full day.
I NEVER have time to do my homework. He can not keep her any weekend days at all. I do not see how that is fair to me
It's not supposed to be about YOU.

That is not what I am saying,
I am saying that I work a full time job and I NEVER have one day off to study to better my life for MY CHILD.
He is a car salesman and could very easily change his schedule so it could at the least be the same days every other week.
I am suffering in school, I have severe epilepsy and I am being impacted by this ALL the time. My baby NEVER goes to bed at the same time or wakes up bc of the craziness. My ability to do my job and pass school is not being selfish, it is being realistic.

It's not supposed to be about YOU.

That is not what I am saying,
I am saying that I work a full time job and I NEVER have one day off to study to better my life for MY CHILD.
He is a car salesman and could very easily change his schedule so it could at the least be the same days every other week.
I am suffering in school, I have severe epilepsy and I am being impacted by this ALL the time. My baby NEVER goes to bed at the same time or wakes up bc of the craziness. My ability to do my job and pass school is not being selfish, it is being realistic.
I pay my childs health insurance, MY family watches my baby for FREE. I just want a set schedule and to not be harassed and cussed out everyday.

Zigner

Again, it's not about YOU. I get it...you have a kid. Parents make sacrifices when they have children.

What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish? It sounds like you feel you'd be better of with LESS time with your child, not more.

Again, it's not about YOU. I get it...you have a kid. Parents make sacrifices when they have children.

What, exactly, are you trying to accomplish? It sounds like you feel you'd be better of with LESS time with your child, not more.
I am requesting a set schedule, not with more or less time. I want her to be picked up at a specific time on specific days. I want to be able to schedule classes and projects. My parents are nurses and changed their own schedules to watch her in the day until I get off of work. My point is, why am I the ONLY one struggling? Why does he get split custody but not equal time as HE requested. If you take me to court for split custody, you should not be avoiding your child and refusing to change your schedule just so you can make my life hard. That is all it comes down to, If I do not go back to him, he makes my life hard.

PayrollHRGuy

Everyone in the world can't work a fixed schedule. A car salesman may have little or no say in what days he works.

The only way a change in the custody schedule should make you "lose out" on child support is if the child's father assumes significantly more time with the child.

The problem is, he is not spending the amount of time that he requested and agreed to.
How can you agree to split custody and then not actually do split custody?
He can change his schedule, I work twice as hard as he does. I work a full time job plus school plus my health conditions.
He can keep ALL of his child support. I just want a normal life.
Everyone in the world can't work a fixed schedule. A car salesman may have little or no say in what days he works.

The only way a change in the custody schedule should make you "lose out" on child support is if the child's father assumes significantly more time with the child.

Zigner

I am requesting a set schedule, not with more or less time. I want her to be picked up at a specific time on specific days. I want to be able to schedule classes and projects. My parents are nurses and changed their own schedules to watch her in the day until I get off of work. My point is, why am I the ONLY one struggling? Why does he get split custody but not equal time as HE requested. If you take me to court for split custody, you should not be avoiding your child and refusing to change your schedule just so you can make my life hard. That is all it comes down to, If I do not go back to him, he makes my life hard.
Even with a set schedule, you can't force him to take the child for every moment that he's allowed to. Visitation is a right, not an obligation.

And, you want to know why you are struggling? Because you're a parent. How old are you? (It's a serious question). Your posts come across as you being very immature.

The problem is, he is not spending the amount of time that he requested and agreed to.
How can you agree to split custody and then not actually do split custody?
He can change his schedule, I work twice as hard as he does. I work a full time job plus school plus my health conditions.
Should I just quit my job and take him for more child support money?
How can I work and go to school with no constant schedule? You can NOT

Zigner

If he can't do it, then he can't do it...and you can't force him.

See, the problem is that these are things you need to think about before you choose to have a child. Your idea of a "normal life" does not align with your reality. You're going to need to realize and accept that, because it doesn't get easier for quite some time.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">