• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

visitation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

_HappyDad_

OG, no doubt you are the expert.

I watched a hearing one day, and the ex-wife had printouts of some vulgar texts from the ex-husband. Truly terrible things. The Ex-husband's attorney argued the authenticity of the texts from the phone company. It would have been in the wife's best interest to have those texts authenticated. It was more "helpful" to the ex-husband that they weren't authenticated.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
OG, no doubt you are the expert.

I watched a hearing one day, and the ex-wife had printouts of some vulgar texts from the ex-husband. Truly terrible things. The Ex-husband's attorney argued the authenticity of the texts from the phone company. It would have been in the wife's best interest to have those texts authenticated. It was more "helpful" to the ex-husband that they weren't authenticated.
And your point is?

not2cleverRed

Obvious Observer
And your point is?
Happy Dad's point is that if you know that there is a chance that the other party won't agree to your printouts being admitted as evidence (because, like, it makes the opposing party look bad), you'd better make sure they're in a form that's more difficult to legally challenge.

_HappyDad_

The ex-wife did not provide her communication of the text exchanges, only the husband's.. The husband's attorney asked why her responses were not included. The husband's attorney asked if these texts were authenticated by the phone company. (no, they were not) The attorney argued that the ex-wife could have fabricated the text messages.

So, my point is just like Red said. It seems like a piece of evidence could only help one side, so prepare accordingly.

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
The ex-wife did not provide her communication of the text exchanges, only the husband's.. The husband's attorney asked why her responses were not included. The husband's attorney asked if these texts were authenticated by the phone company. (no, they were not) The attorney argued that the ex-wife could have fabricated the text messages.

So, my point is just like Red said. It seems like a piece of evidence could only help one side, so prepare accordingly.
And that was the wife's mistake -- only putting her husband's texts out that and not what she had said. I have had texts authenticated easily ... of course I am the expert being an attorney and all. Done it hundreds of times.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">