• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Visitor visas

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

What are my chances/options?

• Wasting your time

Votes: 1 50.0%
  • High chance of success

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Very costly

Votes: 2 100.0%

• Total voters

Hello,
I am from Trinidad (in the Caribbean) and I was denied my US visa twice due to a marijuana conviction when I was 17 years of age. I am currently 30 years old, my daughter has 8 months of age and is a US citizen by birth (and lives Trinidad), and I would like to attain my US visa to travel with my family. What are my options and chances of success if there is or should I not bother?
Thank you in advance
Joe

FlyingRon

You didn't indicate when the visa denials were (that enters into the answer). However, I'm going to vote for "expensive" as it is surely going to take an attorney.

Just out of curiousity, if I get a Canadian passport would I then be able to travel to the US or would I still be inelligible?
Thank you for your response,
Joe

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Just out of curiousity, if I get a Canadian passport would I then be able to travel to the US or would I still be inelligible?
Thank you for your response,
Joe
You are not allowed in the US - trying to circumvent the system doesn't make you magically eligible.

FlyingRon

Why do you believe that Canada will accept you with your drug conviction?
Trinidad is a UK Commonwealth country. Hence he has pretty liberal travel privs among other such countries. It would be different if he was a non-commonwealth citizen, Canada would almost certainly deny him entry in those circumstances pending a determination of "rehabilitation."

Anyhow, no, having a Canadian passport doesn't help either. As Neil points out, the thing is possibly waiverable but applying for visas without that is just a waste of the fee.

Note, what you absolutely DO NOT WANT TO DO is show up on an ESTA on your Canadian passport. You'll be turned back and forever barred from using the VWP/ESTA again.

I've had to park some commonwealth country employees in Canada while waiting out visa issues. It was hard on the guys from India being up there in the winter as well.

I may travel for a few days before Christmas "just to experience the cold" but need to run it by my gf lol...Thanks for the heads up FlyingRon will definitely keep that in mind.
Joe

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">