• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voluntary Cancellation of Health Benefits

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

caroline44

What is the name of your state? FL

I am about to start a new job tomorrow. I will be signing up for health insurance with my employer, which will cover me, my husband and our child.

my husband wants to cancel our current health care coverage through his job, because the one at my job is less expensive. my husband's employer is requiring proof of coverage at my job, before they will cancel -- which we won't have until whenever my job processes my paperwork. the insurance coverage will begin sept 1.

in other words, my husband is being told he is not allowed to refuse coverage. is this true/legal?

we are trying to avoid paying overlapping premiums to two health care providers -- and I know healthcare providers really don't like it when people are double covered.

what can we do?

thanks,
c

moburkes

What is the name of your state? FL

I am about to start a new job tomorrow. I will be signing up for health insurance with my employer, which will cover me, my husband and our child.

my husband wants to cancel our current health care coverage through his job, because the one at my job is less expensive. my husband's employer is requiring proof of coverage at my job, before they will cancel -- which we won't have until whenever my job processes my paperwork. the insurance coverage will begin sept 1.

in other words, my husband is being told he is not allowed to refuse coverage. is this true/legal?

we are trying to avoid paying overlapping premiums to two health care providers -- and I know healthcare providers really don't like it when people are double covered.

what can we do?

thanks,
c
Yes, it is true and very legal. Once they have the proof, they will backdate his cancellation, and refund any overages. This happens all of the time.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
You have up to 30 days from the effective date of the new coverage, to cancel the old. If your coverage starts September 1, you can cancel his (and as moburkes says it will be retroactive) at any time up to September 30.

If you miss this window you are barred from cancelling his coverage until the next open enrollment period, no matter when that is.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">