• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Voluntary Resignation

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bugsmom18

What is the name of your state? Iowa

I did a quick search and the only post that showed up doesn't completely answer my question.

My DH may be turning in his resignation shortly. His vacation time accrues on anniversary date which was in December. He has two weeks vacation and 16 hours of sick/personal time. I have his employee handbook handy and it reads as follows:

VACATION TIME: Employees of COMPANY will ear one 40 hour week of vacation after six-months of full-time employment with a maximum of two weeks per calendar year. Vacation time may not be carried forward from one calendar year to the next. Any unused vacation time will be paid to each individiual employee by December 31 of the year in which the days are earned.

SICK LEAVE/PERSONAL DAYS: Sick leave/personal days will be limited to two (2) 8-hour days per year for all regular full-time employees. Employees will earn one sick/personal day for each 6 months of full-time employment. Sick leave/personal days will not be carried forward from one calendar year to the next. Unused sick/personal days will be paid by December 31 of the year in which the days are earned.

EMPLOYMENT TERMINATION/RESIGNATION: After the application of disciplinary steps, if it is determined by management that an employee's performance does not improve, or if the employee is again in violation of COMPANY practices, rules or standards of conduct, following a written or oral reprimand, employment will be terminated. A two-week notice of voluntary resignation is required. Completed of the notice period is at COMPANY'S discretion. In a voluntary separation situation, COMPANY mgmt would like to conduct an exit interview to discuss the employee's reasons for leaving and any other impressions that the employee may about about COMPANY.

This is all that is stated regarding these areas of concern. My question is, must the company pay for unused sick & vacation time in the event he does resign? I understand he gives them 2 week notice and it's up to them whether he finishes it out or is done at the time of notice, correct?

He is an hourly, full-time worker.

Beth3

VACATION TIME Iowa State law on this basically says that if the employer has a policy of paying out vacation upon termination, then vacation must be paid out. I have no idea what your husband's employer's policy is on this.

SICK LEAVE/PERSONAL DAYS No State requires the payout of this time and I can't think of any reason why an employer would do so voluntarily.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">