• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

W-2 reporting income from state I no longer live in

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

bonzaigarden

Some background: I work as a cashier at a major retailer. In August 2017, I moved and took an internal transfer from my VA store location to another store location in MA. I had no issues when I filed my 2017 taxes.

Now, I have received two 2018 W-2's. One from MA (makes sense) and another from VA for some reason. Just to be clear, I did not work or live in VA at all in 2018. The VA W-2 lists $3000 in wages, while state & federal withholding and social sec & medicare are blank. I don't know where this income is coming from. I called corporate and they are saying because I didn't fill out a new W-4 when I transferred to MA, I am still being taxed by VA. I asked them where this $3000 in wages came from when I didn't even work or live in VA at the time. They didn't have a proper answer and just kept repeating the W4 thing. The W4 thing makes no sense since there's rightfully no VA income to withhold taxes from (which is why the W2 withholding boxes are all blank). Regardless, failing to update a W-4 means whatever I filled out initially on my first W-4 many years back will continue to be applied. I know this is the case because my MA federal & state taxes are being withheld correctly.

What should I do here? Corporate seems to have no idea what they're talking about. How can I get the erroneous wages removed?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">