• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

(WA state) Question regarding legality of internet and privacy laws

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Lharlan

Ex girlfriend recently broke up with me. She comes from a family that is high up in WA state government in the Department of Health. She wouldn’t tell me why she broke up with me but when I got home found out she was having a double life. She was on my computer and left her email and tabs open registering to a website that’s about underground sex clubs and bdsm in the local area. She also joined a sex worker group. Her father is trying to run as a state senator when elections come, which this could derail his career in government and any chance at running. Her mother is a lead advisor in neighboring state university.

With all this that has been mentioned, can I legally tell her dad or family about any of this that I have found? Because I don’t know where the line exactly draws when it comes to privacy and literally having all of that in the open on my computer with the tabs open as if she forgot to close them down.

So again can I legally tell her dad without legal repercussions?

(Note: I can supply more information if needed)

quincy

Ex girlfriend recently broke up with me. She comes from a family that is high up in WA state government in the Department of Health. She wouldn’t tell me why she broke up with me but when I got home found out she was having a double life. She was on my computer and left her email and tabs open registering to a website that’s about underground sex clubs and bdsm in the local area. She also joined a sex worker group. Her father is trying to run as a state senator when elections come, which this could derail his career in government and any chance at running. Her mother is a lead advisor in neighboring state university.

With all this that has been mentioned, can I legally tell her dad or family about any of this that I have found? Because I don’t know where the line exactly draws when it comes to privacy and literally having all of that in the open on my computer with the tabs open as if she forgot to close them down.

So again can I legally tell her dad without legal repercussions?

(Note: I can supply more information if needed)
If the information was found on your computer and you didn't have to use your ex-girlfriend's passcodes or do any hacking to access the material (exceeding any authorization she might have given you), you probably did not violate any computer laws.

But providing private information about your ex-girlfriend to others can lead to an invasion of privacy suit (publication of private facts) filed against you.

And the publication of the information potentially could harm the lives of several people.

My recommendation is for you to forget what you found out about your ex-girlfriend, and forget about your ex-girlfriend, and move on with your life. That is what a mature adult would do.

ajkroy

Yet you didn't know she was leading this "double life"...?

I agree with Quincy. Leave it alone and move on.

PS Nevada elected a state assemblyman who was an actual (dead) pimp. People aren't as squeamish as you might think.

Lharlan

If the information was found on your computer and you didn't have to use your ex-girlfriend's passcodes or do any hacking to access the material (exceeding any authorization she might have given you), you probably did not violate any computer laws.

But providing private information about your ex-girlfriend to others can lead to an invasion of privacy suit (publication of private facts) filed against you.

And the publication of the information potentially could harm the lives of several people.

My recommendation is for you to forget what you found out about your ex-girlfriend, and forget about your ex-girlfriend, and move on with your life. That is what a mature adult would do.
Alright, will do. I wasn’t trying to be immature, it was a question on whether it was best to leave it be

thank you, this is what I was looking for in terms of all that. Wasn’t trying to be immature either. But thank you again.

Lharlan

PS Nevada elected a state assemblyman who was an actual (dead) pimp. People aren't as squeamish as you might think.
No I didn’t, I left to see my family by train for a week and she ghosted me and then coming back on the train gave me the dear john letter via text without an explanation. I got home about 5 hours later and booted up my computer and it came out of sleep mode and it was just right there.

Just Blue

This is true.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">