• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wage collection

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? wisconsin
I previously worked for a small cleaning business for a week. it was commision only and pointless. Although throughout the week i made approx. 180$. When i recieved the check, i immedietely deposited it into my checking, and paid bills. Few days later i get notices that checks have bounced from me, because the payroll check bounced. All in all it totaled in about 200$ in service fees and such. I overall lost alot of money because this check bounced. The employer promised to give me payments immediately, but just led me on and never paid me anything. Now it seems that he is never around and can not be reached. I now find out that the company filed for chapter 11. what i need to know, is what i can do now. will i get my commision, or even the money for the fees rendered. Should i take the owner to small claims? Please help me for i know not what to do.


Senior Member
Bad news.... if this company/person has actually filed for bankruptcy, you have little or no chance of ever getting your money. You will become just another of probably many 'creditors' involved in this persons bankruptcy file.

And since you were an 'independent contractor' and not an employee, you can't even complain to the state labor agency.

The ONLY thing that you might consider would be to try to take criminal action against him for the NSF check. This is covered under Wisconsin statute:
"943.24 Issue of worthless check.
(1) Whoever issues any check or other order for the payment of not more than $2,500 which, at the time of issuance, he or she intends shall not be paid is guilty of a Class A misdemeanor."
Last edited:

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential