• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage discussing

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vjoey9229

What is the name of your state? CA. I work for a tactical store. How likely is it I’ll be fired for discussing my wage? I wouldn’t discuss a raise unless it’s to my employer. 9/10 times I’d say wage if I’m asked.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
What is the name of your state? CA. I work for a tactical store. How likely is it I’ll be fired for discussing my wage? I wouldn’t discuss a raise unless it’s to my employer. 9/10 times I’d say wage if I’m asked.
I can't tell what you are asking. Your wage is what you get paid for working as an employee. Who would tell how much you are getting paid and why would your employer care? If the real question you are asking is about discussing whether you are an employee or independent contractor then there is a lot of missing information here.

In any event, only your employer can tell you how likely it is that you'd be fired for it. Whether that termination violates the law is another matter, and you'd want to see a local employment law attorney about that if you get fired.

adjusterjack

You're employed at will. If the boss says don't talk about your wages, or even if he just doesn't like you talking about your wages, and you talk about your wages, you certainly can be fired.

Whether you would be fired is something only your boss knows.

Taxing Matters

Overtaxed Member
If the boss says don't talk about your wages, or even if he just doesn't like you talking about your wages, and you talk about your wages, you certainly can be fired.
The details matter, which is why we'd need more information. In some circumstances it would be illegal for the employer to terminate the employee for discussing what he/she is getting paid.

quincy

In California, the Equal Pay Act/Fair Pay Act makes it illegal for employers to prohibit employees from discussing wages or inquiring about coworkers’ wages, or for an employer to retaliate against employees for doing so.

California Equal Pay Act: https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/california_equal_pay_act.htm

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=LAB&sectionNum=232

Has your employer told you to stop talking about your wage with others, or are you just worried about what-ifs?

Last edited:

Vjoey9229

In California, the Equal Pay Act/Fair Pay Act makes it illegal for employers to prohibit employees from discussing wages or inquiring about coworkers’ wages, or for an employer to retaliate against employees for doing so.

California Equal Pay Act: https://www.dir.ca.gov/dlse/california_equal_pay_act.htm

https://leginfo.legislature.ca.gov/faces/codes_displaySection.xhtml?lawCode=LAB&sectionNum=232

Has your employer told you to stop talking about your wage with others, or are you just worried about what-ifs?
The details: it was just among coworkers on the floor and I was asked what I’m being paid. That’s it. If this means anything we were far from the office. How much would it be ok to ask my employer or temp agency how ok this would be to answer a coworkers question about my wage.

Vjoey9229

The details matter, which is why we'd need more information. In some circumstances it would be illegal for the employer to terminate the employee for discussing what he/she is getting paid.
The details: it was just among coworkers on the floor and I was asked what I’m being paid. That’s it. If this means anything we were far from the office. How much would it be ok to ask my employer or temp agency how ok this would be to answer a coworkers question about my wage.

Vjoey9229

I can't tell what you are asking. Your wage is what you get paid for working as an employee. Who would tell how much you are getting paid and why would your employer care? If the real question you are asking is about discussing whether you are an employee or independent contractor then there is a lot of missing information here.

In any event, only your employer can tell you how likely it is that you'd be fired for it. Whether that termination violates the law is another matter, and you'd want to see a local employment law attorney about that if you get fired.

quincy

Your employer should already be aware of the law that says he cannot prohibit you or the other workers from discussing their pay. You shouldn’t have to ask your employer or the temp agency anything.

As long as you are doing the work you were hired to do and not spending all of your working hours standing around doing nothing but talking about wages, you have nothing to worry about.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">