• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage garnishment and judgements

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

s_a_b_b_a_t_h

What is the name of your state? Maine
O.k. went through 2 different debt reduction companies back in 2001. Both really messed up credit. Snowball effect from these 2 companies and i just did not make enough to pay debts and lates. I lived in California at that time.
I now live in Maine. I have one abstract judgement from Citibank for $4500. My wife and I have several other charge-offs and credit card debts. We both work at Walmart.
I have read that wage garnishment can only happen for credit card debts after a court judgement. Am I correct? If so, then Citibank may try to garnish my wages. However, will they need to transfer the account to a Maine company to proceed with garnishment? Or can they just submit to Walmart directly?
Also, due to the account and judgement both originating while I was a California resident, which state laws will Citibank follow?
Lastly, we have comtemplated bankruptcy for months now, however we are going to be mortgaging a home in Maine next year(right now, due to our terrible credit we are paying a mortgage through owner financing; no bank involved) what are the chances of getting a bank mortgage if we filed bankruptcy?

Thank You

Ladynred

I have read that wage garnishment can only happen for credit card debts after a court judgement. Am I correct?
That is correct - no judgment, no garnishment allowed. If the judgment was rendered in CA, it would have to be MOVED to ME before they could do anything.

what are the chances of getting a bank mortgage if we filed bankruptcy?
Pretty good, but the interest rate post-BK is likely to be pretty ugly. If you could put off the mortgage for at least 2 years while you clean up your credit and rebuild it, you'd be better off as far as rates go.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">