• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage Garnishment Timelines

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Sandyhenley20

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? Live in OHIO, work in PA

Hi, I was wondering how long it takes a creditor to start garnishing your wages?

I've recently been given some old mail from relatives. I was living out of state at the time and letters were delivered to my family in OH. None of the letters were certified, no one signed for anything.

The most recent letter states that a judgement was obtained against me (in an Ohio court) on October 26, 2009. They are giving me 15 days to take action before they attach my wages.

What I don't understand, is why would they have waited so long? It has been almost 2 years since the date of their judgement.

I work in PA, so will they be able to attach my wages?

PS: if anyone wants to just answer "pay your bill" , I am paying for other debts at this time. The information that I am looking for is normal processing times for wage garnishments.

cosine

There is no wage garnishment in PA. If they finally found where you really work, they probably realized they can't touch your wages. They could still get other things at your home in Ohio, and.or your bank account. If your wages are direct deposited, they can get 100% there (even though through an employer in Ohio that would be limited to a certain percentage I do not currently know).

Were you served the summons in any plausible way for the case that resulted in the default judgment? Is there any basis for believe you would win the case? Or is it for a debt you really do owe? If legitimate, have you contacted the creditor to see if they are willing to make arrangements to eventually pay the debt?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">