• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? CT I had a car repossed last year and was taken to court for the balance owed. At the time of the judgment Iwas unemployed. I started working and informed the atty that I would make payments as soon as Iwas caught up. Anyway they are now garnishing my wages but at 25% of my salary. Can I try to get this lowered? I am the sole support and to pay over 750. dollars a month would greatly just about make us homeless. Also the nature of my falling behind on my payments is due to the dealership performing warranty worko my transmission kept the car for 3 weeks then I drove the car 12 hours later it was back in the shop for repair. they had it for week then i gt the car back take the car to have an oil change at a different place only to have the mechanic tell me that my car was leaking transmission fuid. 5 weeks with a rental car in addition ot my payments. Then 3 weeks later the fuel pump went and i had to have the car towed. they did not look at it for a week and when they did they found another major problem the rack andpinon steering was shot. This was a 3 year old car. When I asked ford for help in this it feel on deaf ears. so anyway I am in bit of a delema. Any advice


Senior Member
At the time the judgment was entered you may have had the opportunity to ask that you be able to make payments in lieu of garnishment, or to have the judge reduce the amount of the garnishment based on your financial status. However, since so much time has passed since the judgment was entered, you may not be able to ask for any reductions now. You could call the court and find out it you have any right to petition for some relief at this point.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential