• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

wage garnishment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

B

bcurious

What is the name of your state?Arizona wel her is my question. when a creditor is trying to garnish your wages for an old debt that has been awarded a judgement. can they garnish for more that the judgement, or just the awarded amount, and can you prevent the garnishment by paying the awarded judgement amount? any help in this area will be very much appreciated.....thank you.ok the judgement is for $1300.00 for breaking the lease on an apartment, and the collectiobn agency is saying that they are going to move to garnish wages for the debt of $5700.00. i am trying to find out if i have to pay the $5700.00, or if they can garnish for that amount, i am thinking i can pay the $1300.00 and not be legally liable for the balance, thinking it is a tactic of the collection agency..you said to look at the judgement paperwork, but i have never seen that paperwork.

Last edited:

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

bcurious said:
What is the name of your state?Arizona wel her is my question. when a creditor is trying to garnish your wages for an old debt that has been awarded a judgement. can they garnish for more that the judgement, or just the awarded amount, and can you prevent the garnishment by paying the awarded judgement amount? any help in this area will be very much appreciated.....thank you.

My response:

You need to be more specific. What are the amounts, and what are their categories. For example, the Principle amount of the judgment is _______, Costs are ____________, Attorney's fees are _____________, Interest at the rate of __________.

Look at your Judgment paperwork, and quote from that - - not from memory, please.

IAAL

B

bcurious

wage garnishment reply

in response to the questions you have, the judgement is for $1300.00 awarded by the court to the creditor, and a collections agency is telling me that they are going to process a wage garnishment for the amount of $5700.00, am i liable to pay the full amount oor just the amount awarded in the judgement?thanks

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

My response:

Read my initial response to you more carefully. Answer each portion of it. Quote from the ACTUAL judgment papers.

Additionally, when was the judgment rendered; i.e., What was the month and year?

IAAL

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">