• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage Overpayment

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lucky_2230

What is the name of your state? Nebraska
My employer originally didn't pay me for incentives earned on the 12/31/04 payroll. When I asked about it, they made the deposit to my account at the beginning of January, but they overpaid me. They were notified of the error and said that they would reverse the deposit that they made for the wrong amount and deposit the correct amount. They never withdrew the money. I asked about it a couple of times, but they never corrected it. They said numerous times that they would reverse the direct deposit, but never did. Now it's October and I have left that job and moved to a different town. I had forgotten about the overpayment until today when I got a letter that they expect me to pay them back in 10 days. Is there a time limit on how long they can go back and correct their payroll? I'm not working full time now and going to school....won't have the money to pay them back right away. Shouldn't they have taken care of this back in January when I told them about it?

pattytx

Yes they should have, but they didn't. Nor should you have spent the money you acknowledge was an overpayment. You can see if they will agree to some kind of repayment terms, but they are under no legal obligation to do so. However, I would try to get this paid before December 31, as repayment in a subsequent year gets much more complex when it comes to taxes.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">