• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wage reduction

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stevil

What is the name of your state? California

I started working for my current employer as a consultant, part-time at night. This turned into 45-60 hours a week. When I started we agreed on $20.00 an hour. Well, the long hours took their toll and my day job, where I made $17.50 hr. had to let me go. When I came to my current employer to seek a full time position they cut my pay to $15.00 an hour, citing their wholesale rate for my position was $35.00 an hour and if working overtime, their would not be much profit. I rarely get overtime and this has put a tremendous financial strain on me and my family. I feel completely violated. To top things off, I was told I would recieve a review last January. It is now almost September. Not so much as a cost-of-living increase.. What are my options? Thank you in advance.

Beth3

Your option is to find a new job elsewhere with terms more to your liking. Your present employer has not done anything unlawful even if their decisions are understandably very unappealing.

rmet4nzkx

Please keep this all in one place as it is all related, also we need facts. Here are the links to all 4 of your threads all of which contain some but not all the facts needed to answer your questions, some provide conflicting information. We need accurate accounting of facts to provide answers even though we see the wheels rolling.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=271226
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=271239
stevil said:
What is the name of your state?California
Last year my girlfriend went to Kaiser for a check up and the lab informed her that she had syphilis and gonorhea! The lab technician instructed the tester to retest the sample as the first test's results were "unreadable".I had been (we have since broken up) faithful 100% and she was very pregnant at the time so it is impossible that she was infected. I went to the V.A. and got tested with negative results. They (Kaiser) proceeded to forward her information to the CDC. Needless to say, this has effectively ruined our relationship and caused a great deal of emotional distress. Even after I returned home with my test results she thinks I gave her 2!!! std's. Ive never had an std in my life. What are my options.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=271234
stevil said:
I started working for my current employer as a consultant, part-time at night. This turned into 45-60 hours a week. When I started we agreed on $20.00 an hour. Well, the long hours took their toll and my day job, where I made $17.50 hr. had to let me go. When I came to my current employer to seek a full time position they cut my pay to $15.00 an hour, citing their wholesale rate for my position was $35.00 an hour and if working overtime, their would not be much profit. I rarely get overtime and this has put a tremendous financial strain on me and my family. I feel completely violated. To top things off, I was told I would recieve a review last January. It is now almost September. Not so much as a cost-of-living increase.. What are my options? Thank you in advance.
https://forum.freeadvice.com/showthread.php?t=271230
stevil said:
Yesterday my employer handed me a notice of wage assesment for child support. I make $15 an hour and have 2 children from a previous relationship. The child support order is for my new daughter. They are ordering my employer to withhold $983.00 a month!!! How is this possible?
I never recieved any notice to appear or summons or anything. How can someone survive let alone take care of previous obligations? How can someone be a Dad if they cant afford food or gas? Please, any advice will be tremendously appreciated.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Ms. Cupcake, the information provided in those thread has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not his employer may legally reduce his wages. The reasons he finds their decision unacceptable has no connection with the legality thereof.

rmet4nzkx

cbg said:
Ms. Cupcake, the information provided in those thread has absolutely nothing to do with whether or not his employer may legally reduce his wages. The reasons he finds their decision unacceptable has no connection with the legality thereof.
Actually it does, when taken as a whole, OP is blaming everyone else for everything he has done including why he lost his job, blaming this employer for the loss of his day job. This employer has done nothing wrong changing the rate of pay between part-time and full-time and OP is fortunate to have this job, in fact if I were his employer, I would wonder how long before he did the same thing to me, let his work suffer due to outside or conflicting interests.

OP has no problem leading us to believe on another thread that the calculation for child support is wrong because now he only makes $15 p/h whereas it's based on his actual earnings when he worked the two jobs, making considerably more, to make matters worse he claims he had no knowledge of the support order, yet they had no problem finding him to attach his pay.

I don't like it when OP's post a whole bunch of threads giving us bits and pieces of the facts in order to elicit a response they want rather than an accurate one for their facts. In this case, OP is looking to get $20 p/h like when he was working part time in order to offset his child support. He is lucky to be employed at all and still owes the amount of child support calculated on his uncontested earnings, if he goes and looks for another job or loses this one, he will still owe child support.

stevil

Get a life rmet4nzkx

You know nothing about me. Do you just sit here all day putting people down? My employer and I have a great relationship. I am simply asking if it is legal to cut someones pay by 25% and not anyone else's. You are a presumptuous ******* huh? My posts are completely unrelated matters. Are you an expert in ever facet of the legal system? Plus the explanation I got for the pay cut was concerning overtime which is rare as unicorn **** here. Do you pass judgement on everyone looking for help. I just happened to ask three seperate legal questions cause I just found this service. Needless to say, I won't be using it again. *******

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
I do not agree. The poster's motive in posting has no affect whatsoever upon the answer to this question.

Whether we know all the various details of his other posts or not, the answer remains the same. The employer has not violated the law.

You said, or at least implied, that we could not answer the question posed in this thread unless we had all the information in the other posts. That is not so. The answer is the same regardless of whether we have any of the other information or not.

stevil

and

This employer issue occured before the conception of my daughter. I dont know what all you need concerning the facts. Maybe you shouldn't be so judgemental, as this is an advice forum.

rmet4nzkx

stevil said:
This employer issue occured before the conception of my daughter. I dont know what all you need concerning the facts. Maybe you shouldn't be so judgemental, as this is an advice forum.
I agree with Beth and CBG, your employer doesn't have to offer you the same wage when you go from part time to full time. In fact it is very common for there to be differences between part time and or tempoary wages and full time permenant wages where you might still have to start at the bottom and work up after a probationary period of time, this is very common. I began as a full-time temporary employee in CA and paid a higher wage because of my education and experience. When a paid holiday appropached all the temps were laid off and brought back the next day, when I was hired permenant, I started at the bottom wage scale and had to work my way back up to top pay which took several years. I suggest that since you have been on this job close to a year and claim to have a good relationship with your employer, that you ask for a reasonable pay increase at your next review as long as your work is unaffected by your homelife or other distractions.

The facts do affect this, now you are stating that this happened more than nine months ago as opposed to recently? Even if you had some sort of case, the statute of limitaitons might come into play, which is why I asked for facts, including but not limited to dates. The same set of facts may have totally different advice depending on WHEN! THe facts are needed to priovide accurate advice, that is not being judgemental, you will be asked the same questions in an attorney's office or by the court.

Again, If you were making $17.50 40 hr week and $20 for 5-20 hours per week, your tax returns for 2004 would have been used to determine your child support and why this employer was garnished and not based on your current pay. The way you presented your facts it appeared that you were intentionally lowering your wages in order to avoid child support.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
The statute of limitations on wage claims is two years. I knew that, as did Beth, which is why we didn't need to ask that in order to correctly answer the question.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">