• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Waiter gave himself a tip!

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

steveatx

Name of state: Texas

I recently checked my bank card statement online and noticed that I was overcharged almost $20.00 for a meal I had this past weekend. When I contacted the restaurant, I was informed that the tip amount had been changed on my receipt from $2.00 to $20.03 and that the manager (who I spoke to) would question his employees and get back to me.

I am curious-- if i decide to press charges, what class of crime would this be, and what would the specific charge be?

seniorjudge

steveatx said:
Name of state: Texas

I recently checked my bank card statement online and noticed that I was overcharged almost $20.00 for a meal I had this past weekend. When I contacted the restaurant, I was informed that the tip amount had been changed on my receipt from $2.00 to $20.03 and that the manager (who I spoke to) would question his employees and get back to me.

I am curious-- if i decide to press charges, what class of crime would this be, and what would the specific charge be?
Did you sign the credit card authorization with this amount on there?

steveatx

I signed the credit card authorization with the $2.00 tip on it. After I handed the receipt in, a 3 was placed at the end of the tip amount (by the waiter or another employee at the restaurant, after I left the establishment), to make the tip $20.03. I was charged $18.03 more than I signed my reciept for.

Goodfella

I had a similar situation recently.We're you using a debit card?

If so, it could be that your bank hasn't posted the actual FINAL amount of the bill. When a card is swiped at a restaurant, the bank will typically add a percentage to the actual tab amount to account for the tip. It is considered a "pending transaction" and may not reflect the true final amount until the next business day.

According to the Bank of America website:
"This pending transaction refers to a merchant purchase made with your ATM or Check Card using a PIN that has not yet posted to your account. Typically, this transaction will post to your account by the next business day."​

NotSoNew

Goodfella said:
I had a similar situation recently.We're you using a debit card?

If so, it could be that your bank hasn't posted the actual FINAL amount of the bill. When a card is swiped at a restaurant, the bank will typically add a percentage to the actual tab amount to account for the tip. It is considered a "pending transaction" and may not reflect the true final amount until the next business day.

According to the Bank of America website:
"This pending transaction refers to a merchant purchase made with your ATM or Check Card using a PIN that has not yet posted to your account. Typically, this transaction will post to your account by the next business day."​

i had that happen to me when i bought a gift card for a resturant. there was a 20 dollar tip added on ( as a percentage) while it was pending, but when it posted the extra 20 fell off. but since the manager said the guy changed it to 20.03 from 2.00 i assume that wasnt what happened here?

how much was your bill that the guy thought going from 2 to 20 wasnt going to be obvious!??!

steveatx

Thanks for both of your replies. Unfortunately, it is not a pre-authorization issue, since a 3 was actually handwritten next to my $2.00 and the total was changed by hand on the receipt. Notsonew: This would have been a well-over 100% tip for me to give to this guy. Maybe since I am younger and was dressed pretty casually he assumed I wasn't one to check my account balances regularly. Who knows?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">