• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Waived suvivorship before he filed for divorce

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

MCWalk

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state?California

My soon to be ex husband convinced me to waive survivorship a year ago. He is now eligible to retire and has filed for divorce. Am istill get a portion of his pension.

Just Blue

My soon to be ex husband convinced me to waive survivorship a year ago. He is now eligible to retire and has filed for divorce. Am istill get a portion of his pension.
What do you mean he convinced you? How? What reason did he give you to do this?

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney

Please explain exactly what you mean by "waive survivorship" in your matter.

MCWalk

His Thrift Savings Plan. So he could draw more money monthly after he retires as opposed to me getting pension payments should he die.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
There really is no way we can guess at what you signed and the implications of your signing. You should speak to an attorney.

FlyingRon

Waiving survivorship rights are distinct from a general transmutation ofcommunity property. However, your statements are fairly vague, so I'd have to side with Zig that you should take what you signed (and your entire marital situation) to an attorney.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">