• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wal-Mart vs. AT&T

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



Without getting into the details of the battle, Wal-Mart and AT&T are having a dispute which revolves around a certain data format. I was contracted by AT&T through a Canadian agency to come onto the Wal-Mart site and fix the problem. Wal-Mart, already peeved at AT&T, assigned me a desk and immediately gave it away, then assigning me another desk which had no phone or computer (weird) so I had to rotate around absentees' cubes. This meant it was extremely difficult to reach me. On top of this, I could not use the internet to retrieve my personal mail, in spite of going through their official forms and being denied. Shortly thereafter, I was asked to leave for the reason of using the internet, which another employee graciously allowed me to do using his account, so that I could check e-mail and browse like a normal human, since I had no internet access otherwise.
Anyway, AT&T now refuses to pay for my legitimate work as a result of Wal-Mart's having to let me go. The company I contracted through is (probably) intentionally in Canada, so that they are very hard to touch legally. Do I have any course of action except for pressuring AT&T to pay the bill? Of course, I went on-site to Arkansas, which confuses the issue further as I reside in Washington state.



It would seem that your Canadian company is your real employer. They apparently arranged for you to be employed with AT&T. So, AT&T's failure to pay the wages due you is really an issue that the Canadian company has to take up. Yet, the Canadian company has to pay you all wages whether they collect from AT&T or not, unless your agreement with them provided otherwise.

If I am wrong on the work relationship mentioned above, you may then also have a claim against AT&T for fraud or breach of contract.

So, you can either contract the Canadian company to collect your wages. Or, call your state's department of labor for help. Or, contact an employment law attorney near you for help. You should be able to find one near you at attorneypages.com.

Mark B. Replogle

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential