• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wal Mart

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

N

nickstafford

“I bought a digital camera at wal-mart over the summer………. my wife also bought one ..thus making us with 2 digital cameras…..2 receipts…so she takes her unopened camera back to Wal-Mart and gets a refund……….they gave the receipt back to her , she brings it home and puts in in our drawer we keep misc. papers in . I in the mean time find a cheaper camera on ebay (different brand) ..I purchase that camera off ebay ……..so I go to take my other camera I bought at wal-mart back , accidentally I take her receipt back because the people at wal-mart didn’t mark it “returned”…….. not a big deal…….. anyways that was the first receipt I grabbed. As I go to the store they ring it up (box was never opened it was still factory sealed with the wal-mart store number on it) but since my wife already used that receipt for her camera, the lady said it came back on the computer the receipt had already been used ………..so the woman behind the desk said she had to keep that camera until I brought back receipt for the camera………..is that wrong? Don’t they have me on tape walking in the store holding that camera in my possession and trying to return it ………..but they took it from me …………what can I do t get my camera back ? that belongs to me and not wal-mart because I paid for it ……I was outraged I told them I wanted the police there to give me some answers on what was going on ( I knew they police would says its an civil matter) the police did just that, said it was a civil matter ………….but isn’t that almost grand larceny for them to take my $400 camera I walked in there store with and not give it back to me ? Please let m know something”

FINAL RESULT

the Johnson City Police dept informed me that it was TN code section 39-14-103 THEFT OF PROPERTY
The main manager from wal-mart had this investigated and was in contact with the store that I bought it from and they had me on tape paying for the camera in cash (I gave them the date I bought it and the approximate time) the main manger sent me the camera fed ex overnight) with a 50.00 gift card for my trouble…….do I still have a case against the store employee for keeping my camera ? She was very unprofessional and the situation the manager told me that she doesn’t not have that authority to keep merchandise only the mangers do

Can I do a citizens arrest?

I am not a lawyer but I own a small chain of retail stores. The reason that the employee took your camera was she may have thought that you were a shoplifter. The second camera that you were trying to return was presented with false documentation. Some criminals steal items and then try to get cash refunds with false receipts. WalMarts action was probably based on a company policy to try to protect you and all of the other honest shoppers from paying more for this type of theft. Obviously in your case this was a mistake. Most of the time this type of refund is an attempt to defraud the store. Maybe you could just accept their apology and realize that the wrong receipt led them in this direction. You can sue them if you want, but as the police informed you, this is a civil matter, so I doubt that a citizens arrest is in order. If it was me I would spend my time taking nice pictures of sunsets with my new camera and let it go.

Last edited:
N

nickstafford

The police said it was a civil matter just by looking in from the outside, but the DA said it was criminal when she took possession of my camera ……..that’s why the manager of wal mart gave me back my camera the DA informed him I did have a criminal case against the customer service woman ………..he said just because its company police doesn’t make it right

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">