• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Walk away from Co-op?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

C

cowboy1200c

What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? NY

Years ago, my mother bought house but not the land that the house sits on. Then that property went into a co-op, but my mom never bought in. She left me this house in her will. However, I never had the house put into my name.

I never put the house in my name because the co-op said I would have to buy into the co-op. I was under the impression that I would be "grandfather'd" in. Maybe the co-op is just saying this because the co-op wants me to buy in.

Anyway, I was thinking of just walking away from this house. Since, I don't own the land and the house is in very very bad shape. Would I be responsible for this house if my name isn't on the deed. My name is on some of the utilities. I would like to give the house away, but don't think the co-op board will let anyone in.

Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.

HomeGuru

cowboy1200c said:
What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? What is the name of your state? NY

Years ago, my mother bought house but not the land that the house sits on. Then that property went into a co-op, but my mom never bought in. She left me this house in her will. However, I never had the house put into my name.

I never put the house in my name because the co-op said I would have to buy into the co-op. I was under the impression that I would be "grandfather'd" in. Maybe the co-op is just saying this because the co-op wants me to buy in.

Anyway, I was thinking of just walking away from this house. Since, I don't own the land and the house is in very very bad shape. Would I be responsible for this house if my name isn't on the deed. My name is on some of the utilities. I would like to give the house away, but don't think the co-op board will let anyone in.

Any suggestions?? Thanks in advance.
**A: then have the legal owner or estate deed the property to the co-op.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">