• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want documents from my non-profit club

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

lifeguardmom

What is the name of your state? California

I'm a member of a local tennis and swim club that's horribly mismanaged. The by-laws of the club allow me to call a special meeting of members, providing I meet the requirements (10% of members sign a petition, etc.).

I've fulfilled the requirements, and now the president will not allow me to copy the book of members so that I may mail my notice of meeting. He says he must be allowed to "approve" my mailing (since it calls for his resignation, of course he will not) and that I may only be allowed to "look at" the book by appointment only .... no copying.

Here's what the by-laws promise: "All records of the Club shall, during business hours, be open to inspection of any director of member thereof, in the manner provided by law."

Doesn't inspection include copying, especially if I agree that I will strictly limit my use to club business?

Help! They're meeting again tomorrow night! Thanks, Jennifer

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">