• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want the freedom to date who I want and want to be able to fight any protest legally

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

alex.m.wilson

Hello from New York. I'd like to know what I can do about having a relationship and being mentality challenged and a parent threatening my boyfriend And want the freedom to date who I want and want to be able to fight any protest legally as an adult

quincy

Hello from New York. I'd like to know what I can do about having a relationship and being mentality challenged and a parent threatening my boyfriend And want the freedom to date who I want and want to be able to fight any protest legally as an adult
What is your age, Alex, and what is your disability?

alex.m.wilson

Thanks for the response

What is your age, Alex, and what is your disability?
I'm mentality challenged have a small strained branch off of scitofrania blind in the left eye
And although it doesn't count as a disability I didn't have proper schooling so my own learning abilities and some minor challenges as you see spelling and grammar and math are my weak points but I'm great with talking to people, it's not preferable but I can still do it in a friendly manner so people think I may have slight atisum but was never dygnisted with it
Oh and I'm 25 will be 26 this September

Last edited:

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I'm mentality challenged have a small strained branch off of scitofrania blind in the left eye
And although it doesn't count as a disability I didn't have proper schooling so my own learning abilities and some minor challenges as you see spelling and grammar and math are my weak points but I'm great with talking to people, it's not preferable but I can still do it in a friendly manner so people think I may have slight atisum but was never dygnisted with it
Oh and I'm 25 will be 26 this September
Alex, does your parent have guardianship over you?

quincy

In addition to the question asked by CTU, what are your parent's objections to you dating?

alex.m.wilson

In addition to the question asked by CTU, what are your parent's objections to you dating?
My dad who I currently live with none that I'm aware of
My mom who is in another state anything that means I have a will of my own and I wish I was saying that out of spite but she wants control over everything me and my younger sister who is fairly normal (bipolar and anemic but normal)

quincy

My mom who is in another state anything that means I have a will of my own and I wish I was saying that out of spite but she wants control over everything me and my younger sister who is fairly normal (bipolar and anemic but normal)
Okay. So your father lets you date and you live with him and not your mother.

What do you mean by "fight any protest legally?"

adjusterjack

Do you have a job and earn a living?
Have a bank account?
Pay your own bills?
Own a car?
Make the payments?
Have insurance?

alex.m.wilson

Okay. So your father lets you date and you live with him and not your mother.

What do you mean by "fight any protest legally?"
My mom threatens us by telling him because of my disability I can't consent but that's far from the truth I'm able to consent and know the consequences of doing so

quincy

My mom threatens us by telling him because of my disability I can't consent but that's far from the truth I'm able to consent and know the consequences of doing so
You said you have no official medical diagnosis. Perhaps it is time to get one. This might help your mother see better your capabilities rather than concentrating on your disabilities.

If you are not sure where to start, ask your father for assistance in setting up an appointment.

Good luck.

alex.m.wilson

:)

Do you have a job and earn a living? Not an official job unfortunately I have the skills to babysit, wash cars, or do small house chores, having a mom who believed in the sit and look pretty consent and an older sister who was learning herself I really don't know what I could have and some I have learned over the years some I still need help so I can't get a normal job
Have a bank account? Yes
Pay your own bills? I have no bills other then a cellphone and I earn the money babysitting
Own a car? Legally I'm not able to with my vision without very expensive modifications
Make the payments? I could if I did
Have insurance? Yes and as far as I know takes a presentige from my SSI as my dad is my payee he shows me what it goes into but as I have no skills with money I can't do much

alex.m.wilson

You said you have no official medical diagnosis. Perhaps it is time to get one. This might help your mother see better your capabilities rather than concentrating on your disabilities.

If you are not sure where to start, ask your father for assistance in setting up an appointment.

Good luck.
I have but I can't remember the dygnose off by heart other then being mentality challenged the only thing that wasn't for sure was having autism

CTU

Meddlesome Priestess
I have but I can't remember the dygnose off by heart other then being mentality challenged the only thing that wasn't for sure was having autism
It looks like you're worrying over nothing. Best to just let it go, and live your life. :)

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">