• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to be adopted by my grandmother

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Status
Not open for further replies.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
There's a young man in my office who is originally from South Africa so if you really want to keep this up I can go ask him.

How about you find me a country where a 12 year old is able to say where he wants to live and have it stick? Or one where a grandparent has the right to take custody of a grandchild over the objections of a parent?

We all know and agree that laws vary by country and that the law in the US is not binding everywhere. However, there are some things that are simply common sense.

Just Blue

There's a young man in my office who is originally from South Africa so if you really want to keep this up I can go ask him.

How about you find me a country where a 12 year old is able to say where he wants to live and have it stick? Or one where a grandparent has the right to take custody of a grandchild over the objections of a parent?

We all know and agree that laws vary by country and that the law in the US is not binding everywhere. However, there are some things that are simply common sense.
"mommy won't let me play baseball 'cause i have bad grades Gammie!! Please adopt me....whahhhhh". :p

Ohiogal

Queen Bee

I am not sure about the laws in Wakanda. That pesky force field defeats me from finding a lot of information about their laws. :D:p

quincy

I am not sure about the laws in Wakanda. That pesky force field defeats me from finding a lot of information about their laws. :D:p
I don't think they play cricket in Wakanda. :p

And, cbg, I gave you a country. Ask your friend.

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
Parental consent is still required in most cases. There are exceptions in the case of mental illness, proven neglect or abuse, or a few other things, but for the most part the parents, a social worker, and the court all have to agree that adoption is in the best interest of the child. A child over the age of 10 is asked for their consent, it is true, but the child does not have the sole right of choice whether to be adopted or not. And the right of a child to choose their domicile remains at age 18.

quincy

Parental consent is still required in most cases. There are exceptions in the case of mental illness, proven neglect or abuse, or a few other things, but for the most part the parents, a social worker, and the court all have to agree that adoption is in the best interest of the child. A child over the age of 10 is asked for their consent, it is true, but the child does not have the sole right of choice whether to be adopted or not. And the right of a child to choose their domicile remains at age 18.
So, in the Republic of South Africa (where cricket is a popular sport) a grandparent can adopt a grandchild without parental consent under the Children Act ... depending on circumstances.

Did you want to check Bangladesh, Sri Lanka or Pakistan? :p

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
So, in the Republic of South Africa (where cricket is a popular sport) a grandparent can adopt a grandchild without parental consent under the Children Act ... depending on circumstances.

Did you want to check Bangladesh, Sri Lanka or Pakistan? :p
Technically that is true in the US as well IF social services and the state terminates the parent's rights. You are comparing apples to oranges. The OP has not mentioned that he is in foster care or placed with his grandparents by a government agency....

quincy

Technically that is true in the US as well IF social services and the state terminates the parent's rights. You are comparing apples to oranges. The OP has not mentioned that he is in foster care or placed with his grandparents by a government agency....
"The bosses" has not really mentioned much of anything. The bosses only asked if s/he could be adopted by his/her grandparent. :)

quincy

Yes, under circumstances that we have no reason to believe are the case.
... nor any reason to believe aren't.

The bosses is probably not going to return to this thread to provide additional facts. It is possible that the parents relented, The bosses is allowed once again to play cricket, and all is right once again in his/her almost-teenage life (much to the relief of the grandparent). ;)

Last edited:

Ohiogal

Queen Bee
... not any reason to believe aren't.

The bosses is probably not going to return to this thread to provide additional facts. It is possible that the parents relented, The bosses is allowed once again to play cricket, and all is right once again in his/her almost-teenage life (much to the relief of the grandparent). ;)
I wish to believe the Justice League came to the rescue. Okay?

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
... nor any reason to believe aren't.
Well, yes, actually, there is reason to believe they aren't. But I'll drop the whole subject if everyone else will. I have no objection to the Justice League scenario.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">