• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to Pay off debt in Full.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.


Junior Member
What is the name of your state?New York

I have sent 2 certified letters to a law firm,the last of which stated that I wanted to pay off the total amount ($3000) as long as they sent me back in writing that they agreed the debt would be considered paid off in full and would be reported to the credit bureaus as such.
THey called my house a couple of days ago, even though I said in the letter to respond in writing to my offer.They said for me to call and get in contact regarding the letter,BUT I want everything in writing to cover myself. Day before yesterday I get a letter from them saying again to get in contact with them with a new total to be paid (Interest I guess!!).It went up by about $160....My question what is my next recourse??? Do I keep on sending Certified letters to them and hope they agree because this could go on forever and they keep tagging interest on it....thanks for any help :rolleyes:

Debt Guy

Senior Member
Just call then. Make your deal verbally and then follow it up in writing.

Too many people get the idea that the only way to deal with a creditor is in writing. Not true. All collection agencies and collection law firms are oriented toward the telephone. You are asking them to commit an unnatural act.

You can't "make" them deal with you only in writing.

Now, that being said, don't send money until your agreement is reduced to writing. Ask for a "settlement letter" to be faxed or mailed to you before you send money. They should be willing to do that.


Yes, you CAN make them only contact you through writing if this is a collection agency/attorney/third party collector.

If your letter said to only contact you by mail, then they have violated the Fair Debt Collection Practices Act (this can help with negotiations!).

It is best to stay away from the phone because they will LIE. However, should you decide to use the phone route, make sure you get the agreement in writing before sending payment.

Also, have you sent a debt validation letter, CMRRR? If you haven't, do that now. They may not be able to prove the debt is yours, the full accounting, or that they are the ones legally able to collect.


Junior Member
Thanks everyone for your responses, I will get a written agreement before any check is sent....This Law firm had a judgement against me and has withdrawn money from my account. Now the account is released and I have the money to send to them to pay the remainder off in full .Do I still have rights after the judgement to request everything be done in writing?...The judgement BTW was a long time ago in 2002. Its frustrating not to hear back from them and the interest builds up...I just want to get this paid off ASAP....thanks everyone


Junior Member
By the way in NYS can they legally add on interest everymonth to the amount after a judgement? unfortunatly it was a default judgement...thank for the info

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential