• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to pay off debt - Legally

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.



What is the name of your state? Virginia.
I am finally in the position to pay off my credit card debt, but want to be sure I send the right type of letter for legal purposes. Any idea where I can find a form for "Payment in Full?" I also plan on sending the forms return receipt requested to cover myself. Any suggestions would be welcomed.


Senior Member
Your best bet would be to send a letter to each of the creditors and advise them that you would like to negotiate a payment:
1) Ask them what amount would be needed to settle the debt, and
2) Ask them to advise what rating that they will report to the Credit Reporting Agencies. A '0' is paid as agreed, a '9' is write off - - naturally you would like to get as low a number as possible.

Then, when you get responses, send payment by check or any other method to verify payment was received. Also, note on the check "Paid in Full" (not legally binding, but could help).

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential