• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to protect against Liability.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

E

EricK

My brother-in-law is building swings/sandboxes in his neighborhood. They are approaching him after they see the one he built for my niece.
I'm doing internet research to draft a release that will mention the basics: Manufacture Defects, Design Defects, Failure to Warn, etc.
Will this cover it?
Is there any liability if no money is exchanged? He's doing some as trade for other goods or services.

I AM ALWAYS LIABLE

<BLOCKQUOTE><font size="1" face="Arial, Helvetica, Verdana">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by EricK:
My brother-in-law is building swings/sandboxes in his neighborhood. They are approaching him after they see the one he built for my niece.
I'm doing internet research to draft a release that will mention the basics: Manufacture Defects, Design Defects, Failure to Warn, etc.
Will this cover it?
Is there any liability if no money is exchanged? He's doing some as trade for other goods or services.
<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

My response:

There's always liability when you do something like this. Have them pay at least $1.00, and have them sign the following form:

General Release of Liability

BE IT KNOWN, that _________________, (hereinafter referred to as "Releasor"), for and in consideration of the sum of __________________ ($_________) Dollars, and other valuable consideration received from or on behalf of _________________, (hereinafter referred to as "Releasee"), the receipt of which is hereby acknowledged, does hereby remise, release, acquit, satisfy, and forever discharge the said Releasee, of and from all manner of actions, causes of action, suits, debts, covenants, contracts, controversies, agreements, promises, claims and demands whatsoever, which said Releasor ever had, now has, or which any personal representative, successor, heir or assign of said Releasor, hereafter can, shall or may have, against said Releasee, by reason of any matter, cause or thing whatsoever, from the beginning of time to the date of this instrument.

IN WITNESS WHEREOF, the said Releasor has hereunto set hand and seal this __ day of _________________, 20__.

Signed, sealed and delivered in the presence of:

"RELEASOR"

STATE OF ________________

COUNTY OF ______________

I HEREBY CERTIFY that on this day, before me, an officer duly authorized in the State aforesaid and in the County aforesaid, to take acknowledgments, personally appeared _________________, to me known to be the person described in and who executed the

foregoing instrument and acknowledged before me that it was executed for the purposes set out therein.

My Commission Expires: ________________

Good luck.

IAAL

------------------
By reading the “Response” to your question or comment, you agree that: The opinions expressed herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE" are designed to provide educational information only and are not intended to, nor do they, offer legal advice. Opinions expressed to you in this site are not intended to, nor does it, create an attorney-client relationship, nor does it constitute legal advice to any person reviewing such information. No electronic communication with "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE," on its own, will generate an attorney-client relationship, nor will it be considered an attorney-client privileged communication. You further agree that you will obtain your own attorney's advice and counsel for your questions responded to herein by "I AM ALWAYS LIABLE."

E

EricK

IAAL, Thanks.
This is similar to many of the releases I have already seen. What makes me curious is that there is no mention of liability for injury, or even any mention of the goods provided. I trust your advice, but wonder about the totality of the release you offered.
Is it sufficient to request a general release that could cover anything at all, or should there be some specific purpose for the release? : "... promises, claims, or demands whatsoever in connection with above mentioned structure." -Something along those lines.
No reply necessary, unless you have certain reasons for avoiding specific statements.
Thanks again,
Eric

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">