• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Want to sell home, how much $ do I have to pay to ex-husband

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

cbk1160

What is the name of your state? California I want to sell my house. My ex-husband and I divorced in 1980, and I kept the house. His name is still on deed. Do I have to split proceeds w/him?

pojo2

What do your divorce papers say? At minimum he can refuse to sign the paperwork necessary to sell if you do not share with him.

BelizeBreeze

If the home was part of the property settlement then you either need hubby to sign off on the sale, and divided according to the settlement or have the court, if he refuses, order the sale.

If the home wasn't part of the property settlement, then you need to offer him 1/2 of the proceeds of the sale after expenses since he is a co-owner.

BelizeBreeze

somajr said:
I am curious.....If it were up to you, how much would you give him?
there is no way any competent attorney or anyone with an understanding of the statutes of your state is going to answer that.

Now only would it be unethecal, but also wrong.

It's not up to you or him to decide what is warranted. It is up to the judge. And since you never answered the question I posted, I won't answer any further questions until that answer is forthcoming.

BelizeBreeze

somajr said:
That question wasn't directed at you Belize....It was directed toward the original message.
The answer is the same.

amended: It doesn't matter what she would pay him. It's not up to her. It's up to the court and what the original order stipulates.

But she'll find this out when she tries to sell the home since she didn't feel the need to come back and answer MY question.

Last edited:

somajr

OIC....the reason that I asked that q was that I was wondering whether she was asking what was the law or was she trying to get out of paying him anything by learning how to screw him. Just trying to see where her head was at.

I have a friend that is going through something like this. The ex wife has stacked up everything to make it look as though he shouldn't get anything....however she did get the benefit of living there for years. I know it is up to the courts. Usually this kind of thing doesn't make it that far because it is a matter of accounting.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">