• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wanting Niece To Live In My Home...

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

A

A Loving Aunt

Hello... I am a single mother of 3 living in Wyoming. I have a 14 year old niece who I consider as a daughter. My niece has been basically physically abused by her father throughout her life. He is a very good citizen of this small town. My niece is no angel herself. I have since learned that she is sexually active, uses alcohol and marijuana.
Her father assaulted her recently. Leaving a swollen eye and bruising to her arms. I contacted our local Family Services and they came to my home. He and my aunt told authorities to take her to a group home.. I recieved a letter from her today. She says, she will be returned to the home in a few days. This is her worst fear. She wants to be in my home. I will do whatever it takes to have her here but, do I have any rights?
I want her to be in a stable home. Which her parents do have but, they are never home. I also want her to get treatment and counseling. Can you help me please?

S

skellogg

Are you able to sit down with her parents and ask if you can work with her? Put some psychology behind it. Try to make them think that your trying to help THEM. If you can't do that then maybe your niece can talk to them. If her parents want her to a group home then why not yours. You might can call the Agency back and get some advice from them. Your niece could also get an attorney of her own. Kuddos to you for taking on a big responsibility. I was a single mom for 9 years with two kids and now my niece is staying with us. Only for a short time though. Mother is getting back on her feet. Good luck.

A

A Loving Aunt

A Loving Aunt said:
Hello... I am a single mother of 3 living in Wyoming. I have a 14 year old niece who I consider as a daughter. My niece has been basically physically abused by her father throughout her life. He is a very good citizen of this small town. My niece is no angel herself. I have since learned that she is sexually active, uses alcohol and marijuana.
Her father assaulted her recently. Leaving a swollen eye and bruising to her arms. I contacted our local Family Services and they came to my home. He and my aunt told authorities to take her to a group home.. I recieved a letter from her today. She says, she will be returned to the home in a few days. This is her worst fear. She wants to be in my home. I will do whatever it takes to have her here but, do I have any rights?
I want her to be in a stable home. Which her parents do have but, they are never home. I also want her to get treatment and counseling. Can you help me please?

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">