• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wanting to sue mother for physical and Mental Abuse

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
Without evidence, you're not going to get far in terms of a lawsuit. Calling Children's services may or may not help, but the best you could hope for would be foster care until you age out at 18. Do you have any other relatives who could help?

So.... your best bet may be to keep your head down and focus on your studies. Do you have plans for when you turn 18? This is the time to start figuring that out. Have you thought about looking for a job? That would give you a chance to get out of the house during the week and also a chance to save up. You need to be prepared for the reality that Mom is under no obligation to let you live with her once you're 18...

quincy

Bronx,NY
Update
I moved back with my mother because my grandmother is being very toxic such as being mean and waking me up in the night to make her something, I moved back when school started and my mother has just been verbally harassing me saying "to get my big ass up" and lose weight, mind you this is all because I'm doing online school. I wish I had the evidence to show but I don't so I'm just here for advice still.
I don’t know if moving back with your mother and aunt was the best decision you could have made but you are there. You should concentrate on your school work and start looking for jobs so you can move out to live on your own when you are 18.

I suggest you take advantage of the resources available to you in your area, as outlined in the link provided earlier.

Good luck.

Eekamouse

Bronx,NY
Update
I moved back with my mother because my grandmother is being very toxic such as being mean and waking me up in the night to make her something, I moved back when school started and my mother has just been verbally harassing me saying "to get my big ass up" and lose weight, mind you this is all because I'm doing online school. I wish I had the evidence to show but I don't so I'm just here for advice still.
You sound a bit like an entitled brat who doesn't want to do anything for anyone else but yourself. Someone makes you mad and you start accusing them of being mean to you. I'll bet your aunt, mother and grandmother all have some choice things to say about you, no doubt.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
You sound a bit like an entitled brat who doesn't want to do anything for anyone else but yourself. Someone makes you mad and you start accusing them of being mean to you. I'll bet your aunt, mother and grandmother all have some choice things to say about you, no doubt.
Honestly, Eek? I don't get that vibe. But I do think it is vital for OP to start planning for the future. It will come up very quickly.

Last edited:

cbg

I'm a Northern Girl
z3mp0, I realize that you are looking for someone to give you permission to haul your mother into court and make her as uncomfortable as she's made you and "punish"her for all her wrongs. That's only human. But the legal reality is, that ain't gonna happen. There's no point in dwelling on how it might happen because that dog just isn't hunting.

You would be much better off getting your affairs in order to move out on your own on your 18th birthday, as advised above.

quincy

That doesn't mean the relationships can't be severed. There is no requirement that one maintains a relationship with people having such close ties. Some people are toxic.
True. It will be difficult for z3mp0 to sever these relationships until he no longer has to depend on them for housing and support.

stealth2

Under the Radar Member
True. It will be difficult for z3mp0 to sever these relationships until he no longer has to depend on them for housing and support.
Another thing that makes it difficult can be others insisting "but she's your mother, your grandmother, your aunt - family!" I have a young friend (actually a former classmate of #1's) whose mother was emotionally abusive. To make a long story short, even now (at approaching 30), she is still told that she needs to be forgiving. No, no she doesn't.

I am a firm believer that it is the parent's job to repair these toxic relationships.

p.s. my kids have a toxic relationship with their father. IMO, It's not their job to repair it.

bcr229

my mother has just been verbally harassing me saying "to get my big ass up" and lose weight, mind you this is all because I'm doing online school. I wish I had the evidence to show but I don't so I'm just here for advice still.
When your mother says this, is it because you are still in bed and online school starts in five minutes?

Eekamouse

Honestly, Eek? I don't get that vibe. But I do think it is vital for OP to start planning for the future. It will come up very quickly.
Yes, it will. I don't think OP realizes that once they are 18, they can remove themselves from the situation. I don't think OP will get anywhere trying to sue though.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">