• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Wants to pay more to move in apt.

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

Patse3839

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
Have a duplex unit in a Victorian house that I fixed up - now renting and taking applications (thanks for all the posts on what to watch out for), I have a girl with her daughter who really hounding me to accept them. She has even offered me double the rent and security. However, she has two consecutive evictions on file and gave false info on credit application - what do you think?

Antigone*

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? IL
Have a duplex unit in a Victorian house that I fixed up - now renting and taking applications (thanks for all the posts on what to watch out for), I have a girl with her daughter who really hounding me to accept them. She has even offered me double the rent and security. However, she has two consecutive evictions on file and gave false info on credit application - what do you think?
Run fast and don't look back.!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'd be an idiot to even think twice about it.:cool:

Some Random Guy

Strike 1: eviction
Strike 2: second eviction (consecutive!, didn't even try to improve)
Strike 3: false info on application
Strike 4: wants to pay extra money to overlook her obvious faults.

You're outta here!

But really, ignoring the baseball metaphor. strikes 2, 3 and 4 are all deal breakers.

Gail in Georgia

OP, keep in mind that in many states, evicting someone can be a long, tedious and expensive process for the landlord/management.

This woman has been evicted not once but twice.

While the extra rent and security deposit is certainly financially tempting to a landlord, it may very likely be the last rent you'll ever see out of this tenant.

If still not convinced, contact the previous landlords who evicted her to find out why they did this.

Gail

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Think of it this way.

She's offering to pay 2x the rent.
She's got a problem with paying ANY rent.

So, you're looking at accepting a tenant who is offering to pay you 2 x 0

(And, as we all remember from math class, ANYTHING multiplied by zero is ZERO).

BAD BAD BAD IDEA!

ENASNI

oh dear

Like Gail said: contact the other landlords that had evicted them to find out why. That is a reference check. That is okay, it is not like employers dissing fired employees.

Re $

Even though it is a valid point that this might be the last rent you see from them, another point is WHY were they evicted

I have had trust fund kids in that I would not have taken personally but passed the requirements of the company I worked for and they were PESTS!

Loud music, hoarding pets, snakes, swimming after hours.... parties. Totally pulling the Paris Hilton attitude.

They had the money, they just did not have the respect.

Good luck but hold up if you actually have to post this question on a site... ya know?

Inspect if there was respect... as well as if there were any money problems.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">