• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

warrant in debt

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

mowmow

What is the name of your state? Virginia

What is a warrant in debt. It is for a loan that was defaulted on. Can my husband be arrested? Does he have to appear in court? What can happen?
thank you

Debt Guy

I've looked in my legal dictionary and I can't find the term "warrant of debt".

Here is the definition for "warrant":

1) n. an order (writ) of a court which directs a law enforcement officer (usually a sheriff) to arrest and bring a person before the judge, such as a person who is charged with a crime, convicted of a crime but failed to appear for sentencing, owes a fine or is in contempt of court. A "bench warrant" is an order to appear issued by the court when a person does not appear for a hearing, which can be resolved by posting bail or appearing. A "search warrant" is an order permitting a law enforcement officer to search a particular premises and/or person for certain types of evidence, based on a declaration by a law enforcement official, including a district attorney.

I'm wondering if you are meaning a "bench warrant"? If so, yes, he can be arrested.

Ladynred

No, in some states that's what they call a lawsuit for a debt. Your husband is not going to be arrested, he's being sued. You cannot be jailed for not paying a debt in the US, debtor's prisons were abolished in the late 1800's. He WILL have to go to court - unless he WANTs a judgment against him.

What type of debt was this ?

When did he last pay the ORIGINAL CREDITOR ??

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">