• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warranty sold is different than what is stated

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

paulsiu

What is the name of your state (only U.S. law)? PA

A few years ago, I went to Staples to purchased a computer. The computer was not a known brand that I recognized. But the Staples person assured me that if I purchased the warranty protection plan, I would get my original price back if it cannot be fixed. This seemed like a good deal.

The computer turned out to be a nightmare and broke several time and had to be sent back for warranty repair. When it died after manufacturer warranty expiration, I sent it in to Staples for repair. They told me that they could not repair it but would only give me the used value of the computer. I went back to the store and they told me that I should get my original purchase price back, so he contacted his district manager, who also thought that was the case. Weeks later, they finally reached a contact manager, who told them that they were wrong.

Basically, Staples sold me a warranty based on incorrect information. Obviously, I should have read the contract, but with so many people telling me otherwise, I thought it was correct. What are my recourse?

1. I have contacted Staple's warranty division, they said they will try to talk to the higher ups. Still, there's no guarantee they will do anything.

2. Should I file a case with BBB? In the past, this has gotten the company to do something.

3. Should I file a case with the attorney general. This seems more of a case of poor training than intentional scam. On the other hand, shouldn't corporates take some responsibility for accuracy.

4. Should I file a case with the small claims court. I figure if I file, I may not win since it's probably in the contract, but since the disputed value is about $400, what's the likelihood that they will settle because it's more cost effective.

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
If they are following the warranty (as written) then you really don't have a claim.

3 years! It's time for a new machine anyway!

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">