• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Warrent from 1996

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

transponder

What is the name of your state? Texas

In 1996, I was stopped in another county from where I live while my drivers license was suspended. Over the years I totally forgot about that incident and have had my license renewed two times since then, the last time I did it online.

I have been told that there is a statute of limitations on it and it will drop off. I always thought there was not statute like that on a warrant.

I'm pretty sure I left jail that day on a Personal Recognisance bond so there would be some kind of bond revoke charge on there too.

Is there a statute of limitations on a warrant? and..would it make a difference showing up there knowing I have had my license has been renewed two times since then.

T

transponder

Well that was pretty short and sweet. Well, so there's no statute of limitations on a warrant. Since it's been so long, do I have a chance at all of getting it dismissed or reduced?

I mean...apparantly as long as I dont go through that county, I could go forever avoiding this. I just know it's there and want to take care of it. but...I'm not going to jail. Especially if all it takes is not going to that county. I bought a gun the other day so it really doesn't stop me from doing anything but going to that county.

I really wanted to take care of this but it may not be worth it if it doesnt affect my life in any way.

Son of Slam

Even if you turn yourself in, you will at least be booked. Be sure to bring along someone who can bail you out incase they decide to play with you.

Warrents have a way of showing up when it is inconvenient

JETX

"Since it's been so long, do I have a chance at all of getting it dismissed or reduced?"
*** It MIGHT be possible to get it reduced or dismissed, but you won't know that until you present yourself to the authorities to face the charge.

"I mean...apparantly as long as I dont go through that county, I could go forever avoiding this."
*** No you can't. If an arrest warrant was issued, that warrant would be entered into the DPS database and will be 'discovered' the next time that you are stopped and checked for 'wants and warrants'. You will then be detained (including impound and towing if you are driving) and held for them to come get.

"I just know it's there and want to take care of it. but...I'm not going to jail."
*** Sorry, but that is not something you get to choose.

"Especially if all it takes is not going to that county. I bought a gun the other day so it really doesn't stop me from doing anything but going to that county."
*** Huh??? And what does your buygin a gun have to do with anything?? Unless you are just pointing out that in addition to your current problems, you are also now looking forward to a concealed weapon charge.

T

transponder

Don't get me wrong here, but I really do appreciate the input. but...

<quote>I mean...apparantly as long as I dont go through that county, I could go forever avoiding this."
*** No you can't. If an arrest warrant was issued, that warrant would be entered into the DPS database and will be 'discovered' the next time that you are stopped and checked for 'wants and warrants'. You will then be detained (including impound and towing if you are driving) and held for them to come get.</quote>

the warrent was issued in 96. I've been stopped by different county's AND the DPS. Got verbal warnings and written warnings but no tickets..nor did a warrant come up.

I guess my original question has been answered...about the warrant and statute thingy. but I still like the input on everything so I can get a jest of where I stand.

Huh??? And what does your buygin a gun have to do with anything?? Unless you are just pointing out that in addition to your current problems, you are also now looking forward to a concealed weapon charge.
Actually my point was...its been seven years or so now and I can go in and buy a gun without worrying about getting arrested. I wonder if I could do that for the rest of my life? It was a shotgun mind you, so your image of me going in and getting some kind of semi-auto handgun is wrong, even though I have bought one of those also since the warrant went out. I wanted a shotgun to go hunting with the first of sept. Actually the gun reference was just to say that their not after me enough to put me on the big list...or whatever they do.

I don't understand the intracacies of law and am wondering what the actual law was on this stuff

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">