• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was a quitclaim deed enough?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

TruthFire

I live in California. My grandfather transferred two parcels to me via a quitclaim deed. These two parcels have two commercial buildings and our home. My grandfather has passed away, and I'm worried that the quitclaim deed transfer may not be enough to protect my property from probate giving it to someone else. Should I be worried?

FlyingRon

A quitclaim is just as good as any other deed provided the grantor actually had the rights that he claims to be transferring. Did you record these deeds? While the deed is potentially valid as soon as it is signed, your rights may be lost if someone records a conflicting deed earlier.

Again, since you need an attorney for the will issues, you probably should have him look at your deeds as well.

TruthFire

Hello FlyingRon! We recorded the deed back in 2018. It was notarized, but I can't remember whether or not we had witnesses sign it. Can someone have it revoked if no witnesses signed it?

FlyingRon

If the property is in California, witnesses are not required on a deed. The question is whether the deed actually conveys something. You figure that out by having a title search done (and best when backed up by a title insurance policy to warranty that finding).

bcr229

Many counties have their real property ownership and/or tax records online. If you look up your county you should be able to find property listed under your name, or search on the address, to see if you or your grandfather is still listed as the owner. Also did you get a tax bill for the properties this year?

TruthFire

Many counties have their real property ownership and/or tax records online. If you look up your county you should be able to find property listed under your name, or search on the address, to see if you or your grandfather is still listed as the owner. Also did you get a tax bill for the properties this year?
Hello bcr229! Yep, the record shows me as the sole owner, and I also received parcel tax bills listing me as the sole owner. =D

LdiJ

Hello bcr229! Yep, the record shows me as the sole owner, and I also received parcel tax bills listing me as the sole owner. =D
Then all is good. The only possible exception could be if someone claims that you influenced a vulnerable elderly person to transfer assets to you that the person was not competent to decide to do. That could possibly cause a suit to be filed against you. However if grandpa was competent and everything is on the up and up then you don't have anything to worry about.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">