• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

WAS I FIRED?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

M

MARIE

LONG STORY SHORT.... I hated my job. I gave two weeks notice. Boss asked for more time. I gave it to him along with my dated resignation form. I trained a new girl and it was time to go. Boss offered me a new job. I accepted. In the meantime, the new
girl took over my computer, my office, my phone, deleted my voice mail, changed my
passwords, etc. For weeks I kept asking when I would get a new desk, office, etc. in order to do my job properly. Apparently they
didn't like this, as I was called into my bosses office and told that the company was accepting my resignation. But my resignation was for the other job, and it the notice had
expired several weeks prior. I did not submit a notice of resignation for the new job. Now then. Was I fired? Can I collect unemployment? I had been doing the new job for a few weeks already.

L

lawguy

short answer: yes

you stopped working NOT because you decided that "day x" was the last day you wanted to be in the office, but because your boss told you not to come in anymore; that means you were involuntarily terminated.

generally, if you're involuntarily terminated (but not for misconduct), you're probably entitled to unemployment. so, fight to get it, and make it clear that (1) you were assigned tasks AFTER your "resignation" from the old duties and (2) you're ready and willing to keep working, but you've been told not to come to work.

good luck.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">