• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was I right to cancel the check?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

T

True_Parents

Miami, Florida

ANALYSIS
After much research and evaluation after talking to all parties; Dental Plan People, Clinic People, Wife and Daughter, I believe the clinic is negligent in communication and at worst is in collusion with the dentist to "milk" patients . . . especially due to the "hard sell" they put on my Japanese wife.

We never would have gone to the clinic in the first place if they had made it clear that that it is a "if the plan dentist is in you can be covered by the plan" Type clinic. We would not take our daughter would be seeing a non-plan dentist.

The day befor the initial visit if they communicated that there was a non-plan dentist only to see my daughter the day before the visit (a big IF ) the they were responsible to communicate properly to the parents so we could make our decision prior the initial visit.
CONCLUSION & ACTION:
Called clinic to say I am taking "further" action and that we should talk more. Called again to reiterate that we should talk.
Note:
(Not about further service but about the what further action will or must be taken because I have canceled the check.)
ANALYSIS
After much research and evaluation after talking to all parties; Dental Plan People, Clinic People, Wife and Daughter, I believe the clinic is negligent in communication and at worst is in collusion with the dentist to "milk" patients . . . especially due to the "hard sell" they put on my Japanese wife.

We never would have gone to the clinic in the first place if they had made it clear that that it is a "if the plan dentist is in you can be covered by the plan" Type clinic. We would not take our daughter would be seeing a non-plan dentist.

The day befor the initial visit if they communicated that there was a non-plan dentist only to see my daughter the day before the visit (a big IF ) the they were responsible to communicate properly to the parents so we could make our decision prior the initial visit.
CONCLUSION & ACTION:
Called clinic to say I am taking "further" action and that we should talk more. Called again to reiterate that we should talk.
Note:
(Not about further service but about the what further action will or must be taken because I have canceled the check.)

Was I right? Any suggestions on further action?

=======The story from the beginning==========

Dental coverage plan people recommended and pre contacted the dental clinic for clarification of coverage issues. They approved the clinic.

We call and ask if they will take our xyz coverage. Answer is Yes*.

Appointment is made.

Day before appointment they call our house. Talk to my daughter*, 13 years old. No, follow-up to speak with parents*.

Daughter communicates the message. (Perhaps incompletely).

Wife takes daughter for initial visit. Thinking we have coverage*.

Consultation after x-ray confirms a serious situation.

Also the point about no coverage is discovered by my wife at the consultation and the relatively higher cost of using a "private" dentist ($800 instead of the $225 under the coverage )*.

We are advised that we can contact other dentists and then decide.

Wife and I decide to use a dentist with coverage.

Next day Wife calls to cancel and confirm we will look elsewhere.

Person at clinic "puts on the insinuation-style hard-sell" ( . . . really will cost more elsewhere because . . . this dentist is good because experienced and plan dentists are young. . . young dentists need the plan . . .your daughter needs help now and don't you want to help her now. . .etc.) Before making up mind see our Dentist. She does. Dentist weaves a convoluted Money Services tale. Wife is embarrassed and confused.

NOTE:My wife is Japanese. The attitude towards professionals is very different than here in America. They are very obliging towards them.

Wife says *Yes. Makes check for initial check for $500. 1/3 of the work to be done in three visits is preformed. Wife returns home with daughter.

I call to see how the search has gone. Surprised that the non-plan dentist has done work and a $500 check has already been made. No receipt is given to my wife.

ANALYSIS
After much research and evaluation after talking to all parties; Dental Plan People, Clinic People, Wife and Daughter, I believe the clinic is in collusion with the dentist to "milk" patients.

CONCLUSION & ACTION:
Note:

Was I right?

[This message has been edited by True_Parents (edited June 19, 2000).]

[This message has been edited by True_Parents (edited June 19, 2000).]

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">