• FreeAdvice has a new Terms of Service and Privacy Policy, effective May 25, 2018.
    By continuing to use this site, you are consenting to our Terms of Service and use of cookies.

Was I towed illegally?

Accident - Bankruptcy - Criminal Law / DUI - Business - Consumer - Employment - Family - Immigration - Real Estate - Tax - Traffic - Wills   Please click a topic or scroll down for more.

kmichelleb

I live in Austin Texas and last night my car was towed from my apartment complex.
We have a parking issue and scarcity of spots, and when I finally found one, it was already well a ten minute walk from our apartment. There were two spots but the cars on both sides were taking up two spots, both were over the lines, which forced me to go over the line as well. I was towed for double parking. (And not because I'm jerk who was deliberatly parked in the middle of two spots, but rather over the line because of the people around me also were double parking.)

Based on my research, double parking is not illegal. And also based on my research, the question of it being legal to tow depends on my apartment complex's rules. Which I just looked over every document we signed, and there was NO information regarding double parking. It simply states that all unauthorized or inoperable cars are subjected to be towed.

Do I have a case here? Or am I missing something? Any help at all would be greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
Do the rules say that you have to park within a spot?

ETA: What I'm getting at is that "double parking" may just be their (unconventional) way of describing it when you don't park fully within the spot.

kmichelleb

What was management's response when you told them you were not double-parked?
I ended up finding a document that says they uphold all state parking laws, and parking in two spaces was listed as one of them. I mentioned it wasn't a state law, and their definition of double parking doesn't even remotely match the legal definition of it, and he said he would reach out to the towing company and see what they could do. Later ended up telling me there was "nothing he could do."
Began to question some of the legality of the towing company. I've seen a lot online of a "one hour" law, where a tow company can't tow you're car unless it has been in that location for an hour (unless its blocking traffic, fire lane, etc.) They towed my car in less than an hours time. This towing company is very predatory. I can't find anything regarding it being a law in Texas or not. I also was denied the towing reciept/info and was told I'd get it when I paid for my car. I read it is illegal anywhere to withhold that information, but I don't know if the payment plays a role and makes it okay.

kmichelleb

Do the rules say that you have to park within a spot?

ETA: What I'm getting at is that "double parking" may just be their (unconventional) way of describing it when you don't park fully within the spot.
Right, but I'm wondering if I can use the double parking as a loop hole

Zigner

Senior Member, Non-Attorney
I ended up finding a document that says they uphold all state parking laws, and parking in two spaces was listed as one of them. I mentioned it wasn't a state law, and their definition of double parking doesn't even remotely match the legal definition of it, and he said he would reach out to the towing company and see what they could do. Later ended up telling me there was "nothing he could do."
Began to question some of the legality of the towing company. I've seen a lot online of a "one hour" law, where a tow company can't tow you're car unless it has been in that location for an hour (unless its blocking traffic, fire lane, etc.) They towed my car in less than an hours time. This towing company is very predatory. I can't find anything regarding it being a law in Texas or not. I also was denied the towing reciept/info and was told I'd get it when I paid for my car. I read it is illegal anywhere to withhold that information, but I don't know if the payment plays a role and makes it okay.
State law or not, it's prohibited.

Find the Right Lawyer for Your Legal Issue!

Fast, Free, and Confidential
data-ad-format="auto">